Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DilemmaDude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all!

For the past few days I've been experiencing issues with bluetooth connected devices like the Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Mouse 2. After a few hours my mouse pointer starts lagging and before I know it the device starts randomly disconnecting and reconnecting.

I already tried to remove the devices and adding them again, resetting said devices to factory settings, resetting the bluetooth module, but nothing helps. Even a reinstall of macOS High Sierra didn't help. Interference also came to mind but the signal strength is just fine (-43 or so).

I spoke to Apple support and they said that I should bring in the device for repair (I still have about six months of AppleCare left) However, I also tried with my bluetooth headset and it just works fine. No random reconnects, no dropped audio, nothing. This makes me think that the problem I'm experiencing is rather something software related instead of hardware.

Luckily I can still use the trackpad just fine when it's connected with a lightning cable (thank god for cables, right?) so for the time being I can continue working but it's still something that worries me.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, how did you fix it? Or, do you guys have any other ideas about how to troubleshoot and maybe even pinpoint the exact culprit? There's only one Apple store in my country so if I'd were to make the trip, I'd want it to be worth my time.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Rebooting doesn't help and the bluetooth connection with the headset started acting up now too.

Last edited:

DilemmaDude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so, it's been a while and I've learned a few things that might help others.

As a last resort I downgraded back to Sierra and to my surprise I haven't encountered any BT related issues in the past ten days or so. It's safe to say that this whole thread is about a bug in HS and after some googling I found out I'm not the only one experiencing such issues under HS.

Here's hoping Apple resolves this in a future update, hopefully 10.13.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.