Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Okay, so after upgrading to Yosemite, my Mac mini turns Bluetooth on by itself even though I have it turned off. This was never an issue with Mavericks, has anyone else seen similar behaviour? It doesn't happen straight away but every time I come back to the mini after disabling Bluetooth, it is running again.

My Mac mini is connected via HDMI to a monitor and I have a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad for when I'm sitting at the mini itself but typically disable Bluetooth as I normally access the mini remotely and may go 2 or 3 days without actually sitting at the mini - this is why I prefer to disable Bluetooth as it helps to preserve the battery life of the keyboard and trackpad.

Okay, so after upgrading to Yosemite, my Mac mini turns Bluetooth on by itself even though I have it turned off. This was never an issue with Mavericks, has anyone else seen similar behaviour? It doesn't happen straight away but every time I come back to the mini after disabling Bluetooth, it is running again.

My Mac mini is connected via HDMI to a monitor and I have a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad for when I'm sitting at the mini itself but typically disable Bluetooth as I normally access the mini remotely and may go 2 or 3 days without actually sitting at the mini - this is why I prefer to disable Bluetooth as it helps to preserve the battery life of the keyboard and trackpad.

What version Mini do you have? I have a Late 2009 A1238 Mac Mini and do not have this problem on 10.10.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
What version Mini do you have? I have a Late 2009 A1238 Mac Mini and do not have this problem on 10.10.

Its the late 2012 i7 model. I'm not sure if it is to do with the keyboard and trackpad or some other setting but I didn't change anything other than update from Mavericks to Yosemite and it has been this way ever since.

rihia

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
it sounds like it has something to do with hands off or the continuity features they have released... maybe if you can disable them it may solve your issue.

even perhaps switch it off on you iPhone if it syncs with the mini

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
it sounds like it has something to do with hands off or the continuity features they have released... maybe if you can disable them it may solve your issue.

even perhaps switch it off on you iPhone if it syncs with the mini

I initially thought that as I had the issues with my iPhone and cars handsfree so I disabled Handoff on all my devices including my Macs but the issue remains. I also have a rMBP but I don't use BT on that and to be honest, I don't know if BT enables itself on that or not but I haven't noticed it so doubt it.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004

Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same problem with my Mac Mini. It's maddening.

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
To be honest, I leave BT on all the time on the mini now because both my keyboard and trackpad have a power switch so turn them off when not in use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.