Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Hello,

I was just wondering if I could ask a question about bluetooth keyboards and battery life. Do all keyboards drain the same amount?

I have an iPad Mini and the battery life is fine. However recently I have been writing a lot with a bluetooth keyboard and within two hours it goes from 100% to 30% (there aren’t exact figures, I wasn’t watching the clock).

Obviously turning on bluetooth is going to drain it slightly faster, but that seems a bit dramatic.

I remember reading about a low power variation of bluetooth, designed to save battery life (bluetooth 4 I think). The keyboard I am using is quite a cheap model, would swapping it for a higher end one enable me to connect in a more energy efficient way? Or will all keyboards drain at approximately the same rate and I should just keep an eye on the battery?

Thanks in advance.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hi, I’m sorry I don’t have measured results, but so far I couldn’t see a difference in battery consumption when a specific Bluetooth keyboard is attached. We use a few different Bluetooth accessories in our house with the iPads and the impact on the batteries seems rather low.
Are you sure you can exclude the app you used to create the text with, maybe you added some brightness, plus maybe a few background tasks like music streaming or picture in picture video?

Cheers,
e.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.