Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
When I turn on AssistiveTouch, my Bluetooth keyboards turn into pointer control devices - K key moves the pointer down, L key moves it right, etc. - the keyboard can’t be used for text input. What am I missing in setting up?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think you use assistive touch to highlight a control, then turn it off to type. To turn AssistiveTouch on or off quickly, triple-click the top button or triple-click the Home button.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think you use assistive touch to highlight a control, then turn it off to type. To turn AssistiveTouch on or off quickly, triple-click the top button or triple-click the Home button.

I know how to turn it on and off but I wanted to use a mouse with the keyboard.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If you’re using a mouse to move the pointer, turn off mouse keys.

Bingo! That was it. Thank you! Now I'm curious - was that always enabled or did something change in a recent release? I don't recall switching it on nor do I remember running into this issue earlier.

Edit - This also fixed the new issue I had with the s/w keyboard popping up when using a Bluetooth keyboard. Another reason I think something changed with the default enabling of this setting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.