Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dragonchilde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Okay, I've gathered from reading that the Mac keyboard will work on iPods... just not the 2G, 8GB iPod that was re-released along with the 3G line. This pisses me off, frankly, because I was under the impression I was buying a 3G... but you live and learn. Next time, I'll research the thing to death before I buy it.

Anyway, that brings me to my current conundrum. I know that I HAVE bluetooth capability with this thing (if I don't, iOS4 is lying to me about searching for devices) so my question is, I suppose, is there ANY keyboard, Apple or not, that will work with an iPod touch, 8 GB? I'm a writer, and it would be very nice to not have to tote a laptop constantly when I'm out and about. I don't care about using exclusively Apple products, and frankly, would even consider jailbreaking the iPod if that's the only way to pull it off (this thing hasn't been under warranty for a long, long time.)

So help me, Obi Wan. You're my only hope.

(And I swear, I'm about two inches from wanting to spring the $300 for the 32 gb 4G, but I guess that was Apple's plan all along, and my husband would probably kill me if I did.)

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Unfortunately, it seems that compatibility with Bluetooth keyboards requires iOS 4 and a third- or fourth-generation iPod touch. I'd say that you already are somewhat behind as far as current updates go (since the low-end iPod touch was a prior generation, much like how the low end iPhone is still the 3GS). You do have Bluetooth, but it seems to be only useful for things like headsets and other audio devices.

You can jailbreak to add it, but the "third-"generation models (iPod touch 2G MC model) like what you have were apparently harder to jailbreak. Someone smarter than me on this topic can add more in that area...

Fortunately, Apple has made the current low-end iPod touch the same as the more expensive models, save for capacity. If you look around, you can find a refurbished one for around $180ish, and it's a much more capable device.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Dragonchilde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I suspected as much. I've been wanting to upgrade to a 4G anyway, and well, my husband has decided he wants the old one. ;) He doesn't care about all the extras with the iPod, so I think he'll be happy with it, and my nice 32gb 4G will be here next week. Happy Fathers day to me!

Now, to figure out what to get him that's awesome...
Unfortunately, it seems that compatibility with Bluetooth keyboards requires iOS 4 and a third- or fourth-generation iPod touch. I'd say that you already are somewhat behind as far as current updates go (since the low-end iPod touch was a prior generation, much like how the low end iPhone is still the 3GS). You do have Bluetooth, but it seems to be only useful for things like headsets and other audio devices.

You can jailbreak to add it, but the "third-"generation models (iPod touch 2G MC model) like what you have were apparently harder to jailbreak. Someone smarter than me on this topic can add more in that area...

Fortunately, Apple has made the current low-end iPod touch the same as the more expensive models, save for capacity. If you look around, you can find a refurbished one for around $180ish, and it's a much more capable device.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.