Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I’ve gotten a bunch of notifications alerting me that certain apps want to use my permission for location access via Bluetooth. I have been turning them off. Is there any reason to enable them?

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
I’ve gotten a bunch of notifications alerting me that certain apps want to use my permission for location access via Bluetooth. I have been turning them off. Is there any reason to enable them?

I noticed this as well just after installing the Public Beta with apps that had never previously asked permission to share data using Bluetooth in past (first were YouTube, google maps, & Snapchat). I don’t even think I had yet opened youtube when it asked.
Not sure if these requests are a bug with the new Find My device feature using other nearby Apple devices or if there is something new in 13 these apps are trying to use not in prior iOS.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
They always just used it before...iOS13 is just adding a layer of privacy protection now. They use Bluetooth to narrow down locations when possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.