Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calebguo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2015
Hey guys. I just received a Microsoft Designer bluetooth mouse from Amazon today. After I got it, I paired it in Mac OS in my 2016 MacBook Pro 15' and it got hooked up immediately and worked really well. I tried to run win 10 in virtual machine(parallels desktop 12) and it worked without a problem. The problem came when I restarted my Mac and ran windows 10 in bootcamp. After I booted into win 10, I went to the bluetooth setting and saw my Designer mouse in the list of bluetooth devices. I selected the Designer mouse and clicked "pair". and after a short while I was prompted with the message that it was not able to be paired and I was told to make sure that the device is discoverable. I tried a couple of times, but with no luck. Can anyone figure out what's the problem here?

any input is greatly appreciated

Caleb

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Therein lies the difference between the OS for both makers. One just works, the other requires Macgiver to tape a piece of gum to his shoe and transmit radio waves through a package of jiffy pop to make it work properly.

I have the same symptoms with a Windows 10 machine dedicated to my kids use. Printing just works without any issue with the Mac every time without fail, while the windows machines works only sometimes, inexplicably. It's maddening.

It has always been and will always be about how the software is written. And MacOS is the Hemingway of software writing.

Sorry not trying to turn this into a Windows vs MacOS thread. But Windows does suck in every shape and form compared to MacOS. It just does, and anyone who says it doesn't is lying to themselves. Which is a shame, you don't deserve that.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Therein lies the difference between the OS for both makers. One just works, the other requires Macgiver to tape a piece of gum to his shoe and transmit radio waves through a package of jiffy pop to make it work properly.

I have the same symptoms with a Windows 10 machine dedicated to my kids use. Printing just works without any issue with the Mac every time without fail, while the windows machines works only sometimes, inexplicably. It's maddening.

It has always been and will always be about how the software is written. And MacOS is the Hemingway of software writing.

sorry not trying to turn this into a Windows vs MacOS thread. But Windows does suck in every shape and form compared to MacOS. It just does, and anyone who says it doesn't is lying to themselves. Which is a shame, you don't deserve that.
Sorry this is more likely Apple's drivers than Win10 it's just too easy to finger point at MS when it's others that are causing the issue

However I agree if you have a HP printer on Win10 there setup is often troublesome but yet again it's there implementation not MS

Reactions: Queen6 and skids929

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Sorry this is more likely Apple's drivers than Win10 it's just too easy to finger point at MS when it's others that are causing the issue

However I agree if you have a HP printer on Win10 there setup is often troublesome but yet again it's there implementation not MS

I do have an HP printer...But that doesn't explain why the set up for Windows is more troublesome than the Mac. The Mac works every time, never had to set ANYTHING up. Windows, complete PIA with the HP. I blame Windows not HP in this scenario since Apple can write drivers to work with the HP, Windows should have drivers or at least an update to work with the printer.

Therefore in my use case, I disagree that it's Apples drivers and blame windows. The OP is using Bluetooth as an example for Pete sakes ...No one does BT better than Apple, NO ONE.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I do have an HP printer...But that doesn't explain why the set up for Windows is more troublesome than the Mac. The Mac works every time, never had to set ANYTHING up. Windows, complete PIA with the HP. I blame Windows not HP in this scenario since Apple can write drivers to work with the HP, Windows should have drivers or at least an update to work with the printer.

Therefore in my use case, I disagree that it's Apples drivers and blame windows. The OP is using Bluetooth as an example for Pete sakes ...No one does BT better than Apple, NO ONE.
I think your missing the point :)

For the OP it's Apple hardware and Apples implementation of drivers under Bootcamp not MS

You could argue that MS should provide drivers natively but given the permutations available in windows PC's laptops etc compared to MacOS limited set it's not practical to write everything for all third parties but I agree for printers Apple do make it easier

HP add so many addons to the printer drivers it is a pain I simple load the basic ones and have no issues but maybe all the extras some like eg ordering new cartridges and prints etc, more is sometimes not better :)

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.