Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

recently I replaced my old Superdrive (not even working anymore) of my iMac 21'' Mid 2010 with an SSD Drive. Unfortunately, even though the SSD is correctly detected by the machine, I’m not able anymore to use Bluetooth.
For some reason the computer does not recognise the Bluetooth module anymore, as I get no informations in System Informations nor the icon under Preferences.

I already tried SMC and PRAM reset but nothing changed.

I really don't get how could it be and hardware problem if I never touched the top corner with the Bluetooth module and cables.

Regards
Francesco

arkieboy72472

macrumors regular
May 4, 2017
If the cables are 1) all still connected to the right connections and 2) are intact and 3) it for sure worked before the install I would have to go back and check everything. Something isn't right somewhere.

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
If the cables are 1) all still connected to the right connections and 2) are intact and 3) it for sure worked before the install I would have to go back and check everything. Something isn't right somewhere.

Thanks for your prompt response, but I went already back by reopening the machine and everything seemed to be untouched like this:

2019-01-17-23-37-22.jpg

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It’s old. Everything you described sounds like a hardware failure. Maybe it was ready to fail and your work inside the machine pushed it over the edge.

Reactions: Bacchinif

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
It’s old. Everything you described sounds like a hardware failure. Maybe it was ready to fail and your work inside the machine pushed it over the edge.
I understand your point but it is really strange though. I mean: 30 minutes before everything worked like charm and then, just after opening it, the Bluetooth Module is not even detected.
I swear that I didn't touch it.

Would it be a good idea to physically disconnect it and then reassemble it? Maybe some dust entered while I was installing the ssd.

EDIT: is there a way I could run Apple hardware test via USB drive? I already tried pressing letter D during the boot process but nothing happened.

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
Says everyone. With nothing to lose, you can try anything you want, to include disconnecting and reconnecting.
I opened the iMac again. Unfortunately nothing changed. Inside all the Bluetooth cables were well connected. I disconnected them and reconnected.
I'm now logged in one more time, but there are no Bluetooth modules detected.

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
Here I am. Another day is gone and unfortunately my solution is not here.

I really do not know what else to do. Today I’m opening the machine again (for the fifth time) trying to see if everything it’s in place.

Sometime the Bluetooth works (only in recovery mode), but after the OS installation is complete it is not detected anymore by the machine.

arkieboy72472

macrumors regular
May 4, 2017
The one time I had a similar issue I had to remove the Bluetooth.plost file and some other files and then reboot with the devices either turned on or off, I forget. I will see if I can find the link of what all it had me do. This is given that the mouse and keyboard are legit and have good batteries etc
[doublepost=1547956654][/doublepost]It was this page on recovery step 4 and 5 near the bottom of the page. One of those worked for me when I was on a fresh install of HS with a new SSD.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/fix-bluetooth-mac-3682642/?amp

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
The one time I had a similar issue I had to remove the Bluetooth.plost file and some other files and then reboot with the devices either turned on or off, I forget. I will see if I can find the link of what all it had me do. This is given that the mouse and keyboard are legit and have good batteries etc
[doublepost=1547956654][/doublepost]It was this page on recovery step 4 and 5 near the bottom of the page. One of those worked for me when I was on a fresh install of HS with a new SSD.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/fix-bluetooth-mac-3682642/?amp

Solved my issue.
The computer was extremely dirty and I cleaned it using an hairdryer on cold.

Now everything seems to be working fine.

arkieboy72472

macrumors regular
May 4, 2017
Solved my issue.
The computer was extremely dirty and I cleaned it using an hairdryer on cold.

Now everything seems to be working fine.

What, What? You went through all this and in the end you cleaned your mac and it decided to work again?

*shrug*

Crazy.

Bacchinif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
What, What? You went through all this and in the end you cleaned your mac and it decided to work again?

*shrug*

Crazy.
I know it's crazy. Maybe the dust was interfering with the Bluetooth Connections. Luckily everything is fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.