Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rochlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
I know this is being discussed in other threads but I can find a solution,

I updated to Monterey on my Mac Pro 4,1 > 5,1, all seems fine except the BlueTooth is grayed out and has a line over it, when I try to toggle it nothing happens, I'm using an external IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 usb dongle which worked great on Big Sur.
the internal Bluetooth is disconnected physically.

when I look at the system report this comes up:

Bluetooth Controller:

Address: NULL
State: Off
Chipset: BCM_4350C2
Discoverable: Off
Firmware Version: v0 c0
Product ID: 0x0001
Supported services: 0x382039 < HFP AVRCP A2DP HID Braille AACP GATT Serial >
Transport: UART
Vendor ID: 0x004C (Apple)

I am not a programer and don't really know how to deal with kexts and code, all the success I had with this machine over the years is due to step by step tutorials ( thank you to all of you that make them!!)

any advice on how to make it work or if there is a dongle that defiantly works would be greatly appreciated,

robertjoe

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2022
I think a dongle will fix this Bluetooth issue quickly even in Monterey.
With a Hideez dongle I got all my Bluetooth problems solved when my Bluetooth stopped working for unknown reason after an update of mac.
You have to set up the dongle once if you leave the dongle plugged in the mac. It's important to make sure you have unpaired all your devices during setup.
After plugged in the dongle my keyboard, Trackpad works fast and responsive, no longer skips, and never cut out my AirPods pro.

williamthe5thc

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
I think a dongle will fix this Bluetooth issue quickly even in Monterey.
With a Hideez dongle I got all my Bluetooth problems solved when my Bluetooth stopped working for unknown reason after an update of mac.
You have to set up the dongle once if you leave the dongle plugged in the mac. It's important to make sure you have unpaired all your devices during setup.
After plugged in the dongle my keyboard, Trackpad works fast and responsive, no longer skips, and never cut out my AirPods pro.
ok, I got the hideez, and I also ran the code to "sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always"
and I have
"
Bluetooth Controller:

Address: 7C:C3:A1:59:53:50

State: On

Chipset: THIRD_PARTY_DONGLE

Discoverable: On

Firmware Version: v8656 c518

Product ID: 0x0001

Supported services: 0x382039 < HFP AVRCP A2DP HID Braille AACP GATT Serial >

Transport: USB

Vendor ID: 0x004C (Apple)"

(tex pasted in case picture doesn't show up...)

I have a iMac 27 inch mid 2011 2.7 quad core i5 12 GB DDR3

I don't know why my keyboard isn't pairing or I can't use the universal control.... did I not install the dongle right or something???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.