Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nchapman89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2022
One of my colleagues has a Mac Mini 2018. I am not in IT but our company doesn't have IT support and because I seemingly know more than most about computers most issues fall to me. I can solve most but this has stumped me.

Bluetooth had been working absolutely fine, but has recently stopped working altogether. User is not sure if a recent software update happened. It's running the latest Monterey version. I have the ability to turn Bluetooth on/off in the top bar, however it doesn't actually turn on. The Bluetooth preferences shows it turned off, without the ability to turn it on - you can click 'on' all you like, but it doesn't actually do anything. I've tired resetting the NVRAM and SMC, also tried all options noted online that I'm comfortable with doing such as using the sudo pkill command in terminal. Nothing fixes it. We bought a TP Link UB400 external bluetooth adapter as this was supposedly plug and play, but it's not - it just doesn't work.

I've read lots about a BlueToolFixup kext on hackintosh forums that can supposedly correct some Bluetooth issues, and it sounds promising, but I don't know whether this would work for native Mac's? I'm relatively technically minded, however I know nothing about kexts, or how to use them.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can recover Bluetooth on this Mac? It's outside of warranty by the way.

Many thanks.

nchapman89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2022
You mean did the issue appear after a restart? Or have I tried restarting it to fix the issue?

Unsure on the former. Yes on the latter.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
In any version of macOS, hold down Shift and Option and click the Bluetooth menu in the menu bar. (If that menu doesn’t appear, open the Bluetooth preference pane and check “Show Bluetooth in menu bar.”)

In Big Sur or later, click to open the Control Center and then hold down Shift and Option as you click the right-pointing arrow in the Bluetooth lozenge.

You have three reset options. If you have an intractable problem, I suggest starting with “Reset the Bluetooth module” and then restart your Mac. This should clear up most problems with no further intervention.

If you still have devices you can’t remove or pair properly, try “Remove all devices.” You then have to re-pair any Bluetooth hardware you use with your Mac.

The third of those reset options, “Factory reset all connected Apple devices” lets you nuke the settings on Apple keyboards, earbuds, headphones, trackpads, and mice all at once and restore them to their factory state.

Reactions: Artiste212

nchapman89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2022
In any version of macOS, hold down Shift and Option and click the Bluetooth menu in the menu bar. (If that menu doesn’t appear, open the Bluetooth preference pane and check “Show Bluetooth in menu bar.”)

In Big Sur or later, click to open the Control Center and then hold down Shift and Option as you click the right-pointing arrow in the Bluetooth lozenge.

You have three reset options. If you have an intractable problem, I suggest starting with “Reset the Bluetooth module” and then restart your Mac. This should clear up most problems with no further intervention.

If you still have devices you can’t remove or pair properly, try “Remove all devices.” You then have to re-pair any Bluetooth hardware you use with your Mac.

The third of those reset options, “Factory reset all connected Apple devices” lets you nuke the settings on Apple keyboards, earbuds, headphones, trackpads, and mice all at once and restore them to their factory state.
Tried this before, but this doesn't seem to be an option in Monterey? I don't have any reset options when following this method.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Tried this before, but this doesn't seem to be an option in Monterey? I don't have any reset options when following this method.
I just become aware of that. please try the procedure at the end of this page. Basically for Intel-Macs on Monterey:
  • Restart the Mac
  • Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:
  • Use this Terminal Command:
sudo pkill bluetoothd

nota bene: for Monterey on Apple Silicon restart and use the terminal command.

nchapman89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2022
So the local Apple reseller has diagnosed a bad logic board with a replacement cost of £450 (+ the £100 to diagnose). Seems extravagant to replace the entire board. Certainly won't be proceeding at that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.