Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
Hi everyone. I have an iMac G5 17" 1.8 GHz apple. Just today I arrived home and turned on my mac and to m,y surpirse bluetooth is playing up. I have it shown up the top and I always have it oof (unless using it). If I click in it it has "Bluetooth: on" and "Turn bluetooth of" both are voided so I cann press them. I have tried restarting but to now fix. I have attm,pted to fix it in system prefreneces but with no change. Can anyone help me on this please?

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
Bt

are you sure that the bluetooth is off. I havent use a bt enabled imac before, but since they dont relaly have to worry about saving energy i would imagine tht its possible that the bt is always on.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
TheMasin9 said:
are you sure that the bluetooth is off. I havent use a bt enabled imac before, but since they dont relaly have to worry about saving energy i would imagine tht its possible that the bt is always on.

No, you can turn it off normally. It's a security problem for some people to leave it on all the time.

Sorry I can't help with your problem though, but you should be able to turn it off.

wiggy4ever

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
what would be the security problem?
ITASOR said:
No, you can turn it off normally. It's a security problem for some people to leave it on all the time.

Sorry I can't help with your problem though, but you should be able to turn it off.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
wiggy4ever said:
what would be the security problem?

If Bluetooth is set to listen during sleep on a laptop, for example, thieves can use Bluetooth phones and other devices to detect nice laptops/phones to steal from car parks and the like. Also leaving it on and 'discoverable' could make your private data vulnerable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.