Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jj1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Powermac G5.
Have moved this computer to another room, and as a result of it being behind a thick wall, the internal bluetooth does not have sufficient range to use the mouse and keyboard.
Attempted to resolve this by buying a third party bluetooth dongle, one made by kensington, and have plugged that in it this room with a USB extension.
3 Questions:

1. Is it possible to turn off the inside module to allow only the USB one to function? (To prevent confusion as to which device a bluetooth device is pairing to)

2. Is it possible to enable wake up over bluetooth?

3. As you have to wake up the comp my manually going into the other room and pressing the on switch to wake it up, for some reason it makes the bluetooth go funny. The Bluetooth Icon Has a jagged line going through it, and the bluetooth mouse and keyboard do not work.

Any suggestions?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
jj1985 said:
Powermac G5.
Have moved this computer to another room, and as a result of it being behind a thick wall, the internal bluetooth does not have sufficient range to use the mouse and keyboard.
Attempted to resolve this by buying a third party bluetooth dongle, one made by kensington, and have plugged that in it this room with a USB extension.
3 Questions:

1. Is it possible to turn off the inside module to allow only the USB one to function? (To prevent confusion as to which device a bluetooth device is pairing to)

2. Is it possible to enable wake up over bluetooth?

3. As you have to wake up the comp my manually going into the other room and pressing the on switch to wake it up, for some reason it makes the bluetooth go funny. The Bluetooth Icon Has a jagged line going through it, and the bluetooth mouse and keyboard do not work.

Any suggestions?

1. yes

2. don't remember the answer, but search the forums have I have seen the question before.

3. well you could just not let you mac sleep

4. there bluetooth usb sticks with external antennas for extended ranges. I believe Linksys makes. it range is 100 meters. there isn't mac drivers, but that doesn't mean it won't work because it could have the same chipset as another usb bluetooth adaptor, i.e. it might work. I'd google around if there is support for it.

http://tinyurl.com/8a9sf

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
Not a clue about any of that being a compleat novice myself.

BUT..

I keep getting things downloaded from "mrs Wiggles" who I think is one of my naighbours.Nothing Realy intersesting ,yet , but theres hope!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.