Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brain Stew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Has anyone else had problems with Bluetooth range with an iPhone 6 or 6+ and iOS 9? It's gotten to the point where if I put my phone my pocket or below my chest it will lose connection with my headphones.

I've tried testing range with bluetooth speakers and my Apple Watch and the range is consistently less than 30'.

I apologize if this is a known error, I just want to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York
I noticed a difference today at work. Where I can usually leave my phone and still be in range for my watch is a noticeably shorter range with iOS 9b4 on my phone today. This is in compairision to iOS 8.4 that I was on yesterday.

Reactions: Brain Stew

joeszef1

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2015
Davao City, Philippines
was about to post the same issue but yeah I'm experiencing the same issue where BT connection suck and music/calls cutting off when its placed on pocket but it goes back to normal when the phone is lifted upto the chest level

Oakmhcky21

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
I noticed this as well when i was on my way to campus. I turned my wifi off and did not have the cutting out problem. I had no issues until i got there and it was connecting to the campus wifi.

Added: I was playing music that was stored on my phone.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Defiantly a beta issue. Watch range is less than 10 foot and to get reliable music streaming well it just don't happen.

dumaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Been having the bluetooth issue also. Never even thought it was a iOS 9 beta issue until I saw this thread. Range is much shorter and bluetooth cuts out all the time. Glad it is a beta problem and not with my speaker or headphones.

GerWol

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2014
I agree. Bluetooth range definitely shorter on PB. First thought my speaker was at fault, but it works well (as it did in the past) with my wife's phone on 8.4.

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
It was really bad today. Kept going in and out. I listen to music through my bluetooth headset at work and it was horrible today. I've always kept it in my pocket and it would be just fine. NOT NOW!

TheGoalieNet

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2015
With my Watch it happens first thing in the morning (I charge phone and watch in separate parts of the house.) The fix is to just turn my BT off and on - but that only works from settings. If I try power cycling BT from the quick start menu, it doesn't work.
Most frustrating though is my Hands Free Link in my car; the BT connection drops in and out multiple times during a call.

cale508

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
IL
Yes, I have the same problem, very short range. I have the UE Megaboom, range is less than 8ft. The Megaboom's range is up to 100ft. I thought it was the speakers, but now reading this thread, I'm sure it's the software. Oh well, lets wait for beta 5, hopefully it's out this week.

Faibs

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2015
Yes, I have the same problem, very short range. I have the UE Megaboom, range is less than 8ft. The Megaboom's range is up to 100ft. I thought it was the speakers, but now reading this thread, I'm sure it's the software. Oh well, lets wait for beta 5, hopefully it's out this week.

Obviously no longer on beta and having Bluetooth range issues. Is this still an issue for everyone else?

HoustonSpurs

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2016
Did anyone find a fix for this? I have the same issue on 9.3 Beta 4, along with no GPS and having to be within a few feet of a router to pick up the signal.

Thanks,

Reactions: Jennmooo

JJ1013

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
I sometimes have the same GPS issues. Can making following apple map directions difficult when your phone thinks your 2 streets over

HoustonSpurs

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2016
I sometimes have the same GPS issues. Can making following apple map directions difficult when your phone thinks your 2 streets over

Mine just doesn't work. When i have waze opened i sporadically guesses where I am. Absolutely no tracking available though. So infuriating.

Aldrin808

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2016
Ever since Apple's founder passed away, apple no longer is the same leading edge company it used to be. I am sick and tired of hearing software updates to address issues, make a system run more efficiently but then creates more issues.

This issue with the bluetooth range started a while ago and got even worse when we had to do an iPhone software update to 9.3.2 that supposedly was intended to address bluetooth issues, it tended to the issues for sure, it shortened by bluetooth range in the gym from one that used to work fully across the gym down to 3 ft and less.

Oftentimes the bluetooth won't work when the phone is not within line of sight. Bluetooth headset cuts off and no longer works when I store the phone in my gym bag.

I have an iPhone 6 plus running iOS version 9.3.2.

Domlee2010

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2016
Has anyone else had problems with Bluetooth range with an iPhone 6 or 6+ and iOS 9? It's gotten to the point where if I put my phone my pocket or below my chest it will lose connection with my headphones.

I've tried testing range with bluetooth speakers and my Apple Watch and the range is consistently less than 30'.

I apologize if this is a known error, I just want to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

I have exact same issue, took to Apple Store and they said they can't help. Then they said i have to pay $379 (Canadian) to swap the phone.

I thought it's just my phone but found this forum. My Bluetooth disconnect as soon as I put my phone in my pants, which makes it effectively useless.

jalconsulting

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
I have exact same issue, took to Apple Store and they said they can't help. Then they said i have to pay $379 (Canadian) to swap the phone.

I thought it's just my phone but found this forum. My Bluetooth disconnect as soon as I put my phone in my pants, which makes it effectively useless.

I have Beats wireless headphones I use for running (i.e. approx 4 feet between headphone and iPhone in water-belt) - terrible connection. Switched to the Jaybird earphones, and same problem. Wow, can't wait for the iPhone 7 that (evidently) has no jack for headphones. Hope they fix their bluetooth by then..

currently using iPhone 6 128gb

StaticFX

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
This is STILL driving me crazy! I cant find a fix anywhere.. It was the 9.1 official that ruined it for me. the beta was fine. I keep hoping that each update will fix it. on ios 10pb7 and its still an issue. BUT, my sons iphone 6 is fine and wifes 6+ is fine. its just mine (which sucks because I am the one that uses it for music!)

zaquinho17

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2015
Sydney | to | New Jersey
This is STILL driving me crazy! I cant find a fix anywhere.. It was the 9.1 official that ruined it for me. the beta was fine. I keep hoping that each update will fix it. on ios 10pb7 and its still an issue. BUT, my sons iphone 6 is fine and wifes 6+ is fine. its just mine (which sucks because I am the one that uses it for music!)

You will see issues with bluetooth on PB's just an FYI. Also, before beats were acquired by apple, they released multiple bluetooth updates for their devices, so if it is beats, plug them in to your computer and search for the latest update. the bluetooth issue with them is now addressed for all their products being released this fall, and the issues seemed to fade out on products manufactured after Apple's purchase.

im sure the same could be said for jaybird in regards to software available..

StaticFX

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
You will see issues with bluetooth on PB's just an FYI. Also, before beats were acquired by apple, they released multiple bluetooth updates for their devices, so if it is beats, plug them in to your computer and search for the latest update. the bluetooth issue with them is now addressed for all their products being released this fall, and the issues seemed to fade out on products manufactured after Apple's purchase.

im sure the same could be said for jaybird in regards to software available..

Its not the PB, its ALL iOS versions since 9.1x.. And the device doesnt matter. Even my Nabu wearable loses connection when its > 1 ft away. Ever since that 9.1 official release, my BT is almost useless. Is it the antenna?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.