Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjunkie2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
You Ess Eh
I am looking to pair a bluetooth speaker to ether my clamshell G3 (w USB dongle) or my iBook g4 1.42

1. In both cases the bluetooth detects various, non Keyboard and mouse, devices including the speaker (Anker Soundcore) but always asks for a passkey (not needed nor supplied)
  2. I have tried all the settings, but other than detection, says paired, but will actually connect.
  3. I tried various recommended keys, eg. 0000, 1234, 000000
  4. Both G3 and G4 work fine with bluetooth mouse.
  5. Maybe the dongle is too new?

What options are there for wireless speakers and headphones for old macs?

Last edited:

macjunkie2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
You Ess Eh
I found something called

Softick Audio Gateway for Mac OS X. (link is dead, try https://macdownload.informer.com/audiogateway/ )

OSX 10.4+ needs a A2DP audio driver for bluetooth. Apparently Softick Audio Gateway provides that?

More discussions here tho:

Last edited:

macjunkie2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
You Ess Eh
Intel 10.4 only?

staso28

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2021
I've never tried it with Tiger, only with Leopard, but my exprience is, that bluetooth headphones are unusable. It was quite easy to connect via bluetooth, but when listening to music the playback was interrupted every few seconds. It looked like the machine has not enough power to feed the music to the headphones. I've tried it on several G4 machines and even on my 2GH dual core G5 - none of them could handle it....

Reactions: macjunkie2013

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I connected a Powerbook with it's native Bluetooth to a Soundbar but the results were awful - I had to look up some Terminal commands to improve fidelity (slightly) but then dropouts occurred. You might have luck with a dongle with dedicated drivers?

macjunkie2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
You Ess Eh
Thanks for responding, sadly it looks like PPC mac cannot manage wireless audio streaming. 🥲

Has anyone tried Sorbet Leopard w bluetooth audio?

Maybe Airplay...?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My experience with a 17" PowerBook running Leopard and a Harmon Kardon louspeaker and a different portable BT speaker over the years has been hit and miss. Switching from the internal BT to a USB BT stick didn't really help.

At the times I was able to get things to work, it was smooth. But if I had to disconnect for some reason and then reconnect later all bets were off. Most of the time it just started skipping or jerking during playback. Typically I found things to be the absolute worst whenever there was hard drive access. Since most of the time there is hard drive access then most of the time there were problems.

The HK speaker I have is circa 2015 and the portable speaker is something like 2018 I think. Both fairly old by today's standards but 12 to 15 years beyond my 2003 PowerBook.

I just chalked it up to the speakers being too new and started streaming music from my 2009 Minis instead. It's bit of a rock and a hard place. Either find really old speakers that will work or a newer adapter. If you go with a newer adapter though, you run the risk of it not working with the older Mac.

macjunkie2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
You Ess Eh
Perhaps one of those 3.5mm jack to Bluetooth dongles could work? Granted you'd lose the audio jack but at least you could get a Bluetooth speaker connected.
Your suggestion works perfectly, thank you.
I bought this:
Fits great and has good range.

• Love
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your suggestion works perfectly, thank you.
I bought this:
Fits great and has good range.
I just went and bought what you linked to. Would love to have my 17" PowerBook actually using the loudspeaker in my garage with no issues. Thanks for posting that!

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I just went and bought what you linked to. Would love to have my 17" PowerBook actually using the loudspeaker in my garage with no issues. Thanks for posting that!

I'm glad I saved my Belkin external BT transmitter/receiver dongle when I bought a new car three years ago. I used one with my old car stereo and didn't need it for my new one. It works great on every old Mac I've used it on, including my Wallstreets.

macjunkie2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
You Ess Eh
Cool let us know how it goes?

FYI: I tried several and they all worked the same, so I chose the smallest and cheapest one. 🤪

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Cool let us know how it goes?

FYI: I tried several and they all worked the same, so I chose the smallest and cheapest one. 🤪
So, the device arrived today. Just for testing purposes I have the PowerBook on my desk inside the house. Once I figured out how this is all supposed to work the device had no issue connecting to my BT Soundbar.

Quite some time since I last opened Songbird, but this is why I use this app on my PowerBook (instead of iTunes) and Nightingale on my Intel Macs. Songbird is adding all the music that's been placed on my NAS since it was last opened. Hooray for music libraries in ONE location!

2024-02-07 16.15.09.jpg

And…we are streaming the Homeworld (game) soundtracks to the soundbar without issue!

2024-02-07 16.22.46.jpg

@Alexis Trinquet thanks for the suggestion and @macjunkie2013 thanks for posting what you bought!

I should no troubles streaming to the loudspeaker in the garage!

PS…17" PowerBook G4, 1.0Ghz with 2GB ram, 128GB SSD. Silent! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.