Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RevDC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Cambridge, UK
I have a late 2012 Mac mini running macOS 10.14.1. I have a recently developed issue.

I can pair bluetooth audio devices through the system preferences bluetooth panel. I can get them to appear in system preferences sound. I can select them there, but the selection will not persist - either reverting to internal speaker, or headphones if that output is active. I can also select them under the sound icon on the menu bar, but, again, the selection will not persist, and the selection reverts to either internal speaker or headphones if connected.

I've tried disconnecting all bluetooth devices (except magic trackpad for obvious reasons). I've tried clearing all sound output devices. I've tried rebooting macOS. I'm at a complete loss and can't find a solution anywhere. Can anyone make any suggestions please?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Try running music in iTunes after the first BT connection . .and THEN . .reduce the iTune music audio level to zero and THEN HIDE iTunes. It will help if you have about 5 hours of music . . . . :p.

Itunes migh tcomplain once but there should be an "Ignore this notice " button to clik.

I haven't tried this in my Mojave 10.14.2 installation but it ' should ' work in Mojave .. it keeps the BT connection busy with iTunes and allows you to use other apps for audio. It maintains my BT connection in High Sierra.

Worth a try. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.