Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nettmanek

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
Wolverhampton UK
Hi Guys

I have MacPro Mid 2010 with Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB (and original Nvidia GT120). I have a problem with bluetooth when RX580 is plugged in - it works fine when GT120 is plugged in.

It shows all the time OFF and unable to turn it on. Any ideas?

OS Monterey 12.6.7

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
1. Are you sure everything else is the same apart from the GPU when running the GT120?
2. Did you get the RX580 new or used?
3. Do you know whether it has been modified in any manner ... such as by MacVidCards to provide bootscreen?

nettmanek

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
Wolverhampton UK
1. Yes, I did a test - turn off swap GPU and turn back on. It works with GT120 but not with RX580
2. Got it new but opened
3. Dunno - bought it from the guy who is selling dozens of GPUs on ebay

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I just rechecked on my Monterey instance (which I have but don't really use) and I cannot switch BT on there.
It shows option to switch it ON but does nothing when clicked that I can see.

I have a vanilla RX580 and never linked this to the GPU as few other items exist:
1. I have an MP31
2. I have stock BT

That is, I didn't really expect BT to work on Monterey as such given the above.
I mostly use hardwired stuff and tend not to miss BT.
I have never tried with another GPU but strange all the same that this should be linked to the GPU.

Sorry, I cannot shed any more light save that I have the same on my unit with Monterey (Big Sur and older work) but cannot see how/why it should be related to the GPU as seems to be the case.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Sometimes the GPUs or the cables interference with Bluetooth.

Hence the bluetooth antenna is in the plastic frame where the sticker for the serial number and machine features lives.

Had the same years before after changing the GPU. Solved it with a bluetooth dongle plugged into the USB keyboard.

Better reception as it was near the mouse. Using a wired magic trackpad now. No more hassle at all :)

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Hi Guys

I have MacPro Mid 2010 with Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB (and original Nvidia GT120). I have a problem with bluetooth when RX580 is plugged in - it works fine when GT120 is plugged in.

It shows all the time OFF and unable to turn it on. Any ideas?

OS Monterey 12.6.7
If you switch between Monterey and Mojave (or earlier) it is a normal behavior. You need to reboot one more time in Monterey.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
So what you say is when you boot Monterey and GT-120 only in the machine BT works?
I would recommend running @Macschrauber tool (in his signature) and inspect your nvram. I am even surprised that you can use GT-120 in Monterey. If you boot Monterey/Mojave do an NVRAM reset (4 times) before booting to Monterey.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Hey I will run that script

Regarding the GT120 - you can run it with OpenCore Legacy Patcher
When you run the patcher you need to have the card/s installed otherwise you may have problems afterwards. You can always rerun the patcher at any given time with both cards installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.