Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
I attempted to pair my iPhone with my Garmin Nuvi 660 and while both devices "see" each other I am stymied because of the passkey requirement. The Nuvi requires that you input a numerical passkey, which is not working on the iPhone's keypad because of the way in which the iPhone automatically puts in the "1" and then the area code in parentheses (123) and phone number. I've tried every possible way to get this to work. Has anyone been able to do it?

ETA: OK, problem solved! Ahem....user error!! I went out and tried it again and THIS time the special keypad came up so that I could input the passkey. Bingo! I think probably before I was confusing the phone and the Nuvi by repeatedly trying over and over. Now it is up and running just fine!!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
The iPhone does have Maps and you can do a search and get a location, but it is not really a GPS system. I already had the Nuvi 660 prior to buying my iPhone, and only yesterday realized that I could set up Bluetooth in both devices to have hands-free phone conversations if someone calls me in the car or if I need to phone someone while I'm on the way somewhere. The Nuvi 660 shows the contacts list/address book from the iPhone but does not use some of the other features.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 760. While it pairs with the iPhone without any problem, the iPhone keeps disconnecting and reconnecting about every 30 secs or so. Very annoying and it renders the functionality useless -- this really stinks. Apparently, this is an issue people have noticed with the iPhone 1.1.3 update. I hope it's fixed soon.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 760. While it pairs with the iPhone without any problem, the iPhone keeps disconnecting and reconnecting about every 30 secs or so. Very annoying and it renders the functionality useless -- this really stinks. Apparently, this is an issue people have noticed with the iPhone 1.1.3 update. I hope it's fixed soon.

This is fixed (and confirmed fixed) with the iPhone 1.1.4 update.

cashjgps

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
iPhone & Nuvi 760 Bluetooth

After owning the Nuvi 760 for several months and unsucessfully trying to pair them via Bluetooth, success! The answer, which should have been more obvious, was to use the Web Update feature on the Nuvi for a Bluetooth firmware update. That plus V 1.14 iPhone update equals a beautiful relationship!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.