Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Finch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
I just got my new 12' powerbook today and I was trying to share files with my friend who have AL-15' powerbook, but we coudln't get it to work. Both powerbook have bluetooth and they are ON. They don't recognize each other. Does anyone know how to solve this ? We are both girls so we don't really know. Thank you !!:)

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Open up the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences, and click on "File Exchange," then make sure that where it says "Bluetooth File Transfer" you're set folder is your hard drive.

Make sure both computers are "Discoverable."

Good luck!

use the blue tooth setup assistant, and pair your deviced together, so in the future its just a click to send instead of setting to discoverable and all that.

i send and receive stuff from my friend in lectures via blue tooth all the time

any one have average speeds

mine vary from 30-60 kbps

Finch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
I did both of them, but still doesn't work...

What eles I can do now?
Thanx

Finch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by virividox
when pairing it will ask u for a passkey, that will allow successfull pairing , without that no transfers can take place.

tyr running through it again, i know when i frist set mine up i missed a step

Thank you, but still doesn't work...
I'm so tired now, I will try tomorrow.
If you have any other ideas, I will appreciate.

Thanx

:(

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Two Ways

BLUETOOTH: first of all, if they are large files, do not use BT: the bandwidth is too lean. But, it is simple: make sure that your friend's PB is discoverable: you set that in System Preferences; tell her to set no password, unless she will always have BT on: even then, it is not like WiFi security-wise. Open YOUR Sys Preferences, and make sure that BT shows in the Menu Bar. From the BT menu bar icon, choose "send file". Chosse the file you want to send. Your PB will search for discoverable devices. When your friend's PB shows up, click on "send." Your friend should receive a notice to either accept or deny. She clicks "accept" and the file will be transfered to the folder she has designated as BT transfer recipient.

FIREWIRE:

Much easier: Make sure you have a FireWire cable and your PB is on. Shut down your friend's PB. Connect a FireWire cable between the two PB's. Turn on her PB and immediately press and hold the "T" ket on HER PB. Keep holding it until a FireWire Icon screen saver comes on in her PB. Her PB's hard drive now mounts on your PB as an external hard drive. You may now copy or write files to it to your hearts content.

Blue Tooth is not necessarily fast: remember that. Good Luck.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
If you both got bluetooth, then you both probably got airport cards. Why not just do that...

If you're not near an airport or other wireless access point, have one person "Create Network..." in the airport menulet at the top, and the other person should be able to join. From there, you should see each other in the Network thing in the finder windows.

Finch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
Thanks everyone. Our PBs are set to Discoverable. As Balin64 says, I tried to send from menue bar. But it always says, "Unable to validate device".

:( :( :(

Attachments

• picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 255

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Finch
Thanks everyone. Our PBs are set to Discoverable. As Balin64 says, I tried to send from menue bar. But it always says, "Unable to validate device".

Normally, when setting up a device, I get that screen for a few seconds, and then that alpha-numeric name turns into something like, "My PowerBook" or "T68i." Does it ever do that?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
umm guys,

you do know that the mac does not support the PAN profile don't you.

it does support OBEX File Transfer and OBEX Object Push but without the Network Access Profile your fighting an uphill battle.

However, if you want, just go to Apps>Utils>Bluetooth File Exchange.app then just add it to your dock and drag the file (its only one at a time) you want transfered onto it. It will pop up a box asking you to select a device. Select it and boom.

For this both devices need to be discoverable of they need to be paired.

Finch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
I did everything that you guys say...but still doesn't work. Does someone have any more idea? Thanks.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
I had the same prob

Hi Finch,

Perhaps I can help u :D

Is it possible that u, or ur friend, updated your os from jaguar to panther ?

I did that and from that time on my BT didn´t work anymore, although my sytem told me, that erverything is correct. :confused: (I´ve got a BT Mouse and Keyboard).

I had to clean my HD (by starting from the panther cd1 -> clean HD) and install panther on the clean system. Then it worked.

But be carefull. If u do so, u will lose all your data if u don´t backup it before.

Dave out.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by blueflame
everyoen said waht i was gonna

Can you say "wasted post"?

Anyway, my Panther OS works fine with my BT mouse and keyboard, so that probably isn't the problem.

Make sure you're both running the same OS, make sure you're both discoverable, and then make sure whatever files you want to transfer are in the appropriate folder. The default folder is "Shared" in the Bluetooth preferences pane.

Should work after that.....

If you still can, call Apple.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
i´m sure it does, but mine didn´t. My Mac found the Mouse and the Keyboard but they just didn´t work. It was really strange, like the problem of Linch.

Dave out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.