Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Hi,

I want to learn how to write software for Mac OS X. I consider myself to be proficient in Java and PHP and competent in C. I am fairly knowledgeable about Linux and Solaris, know how to use pthreads and Solaris threads and how to write a Solaris device driver.

I know next to nothing about Mac OS X programming and am looking for a book or combination of books that will cover the various frameworks and services available to the Mac OS X programmer and will also outline the basics of writing a kernel extension. I'd prefer material that covers best current practice rather than possibly confusing me with older APIs that are still present.

Which books do you consider essential reference material and which would you recommend I acquire?

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
If you want a basic starting point for Xcode:
The Mac Xcode 2 Book by Michael Cohen and Dennis Cohen

For more "Cocoa"-type stuff (using Xcode 1) there is:
Cocoa Programmin for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass

An even older book that delves a bit deeper into Cocoa, but not that deep:
Building Cocoa Applications: A Step-by-Step Guide by Simson Garfinkel and Michael K. Mahoney

Check out O'Reilly Books for some of the others, including a good reference:
Cocoa in a Nutshell by Michael Beem and James Duncan Davidson

Since you're coming from a more Unix heavy background, this might be of some interest (although it is not a developer book):
Mac OS X Tiger for Unix Geeks by Brian Jepson and Ernest E. Rothman

I hope that helps.

Jordan72

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2005
mdavey said:
I ... am looking for a book or combination of books that will cover the various frameworks and services available to the Mac OS X programmer and will also outline the basics of writing a kernel extension.

Cocoa has the most popular frameworks available to Mac OS X. Take a look at the Macintosh programming section at Barnes and Noble and Boarders. Cocao. Cocoa. Cocoa. I recommend begining with the language in which those Cocoa class's are written: Objective-C.

The syntax is necessary to understand, so you might as well begin there if you want to know the frameworks.

Kochan's book (listed in previous comment) is the only book out there I know of that has a primary orientation toward Objective-C for OS X. Apple does provide a free book, but I really don't recomend that for a first timer to Objective-C. I recommend you finish Kochan's book, then read it. That will keep you busy for awhile.

Here is the link to Apples free Objective C book. It will clear up many things if you go through it patiently. But again, I don't think it's a first timer manual. http://developer.apple.com/document...ectiveC/Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html

ll350

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2004
Chapel Hill, NC
physics_gopher said:
If you want a basic starting point for Xcode:
The Mac Xcode 2 Book by Michael Cohen and Dennis Cohen

Whenever I see that book mentioned I instinctively want to jump up and say: "No don't get that book it's horrible!"

But then I take a step back and say,: "Well I'm a newbie at programing, maybe I just didn't have a deep enough background to understand the information."

So, I'd like to hear from an experienced programer who read that book: "Was it really that good?" Should I hold on to it, so that later on I can use it for reference material? Was it crap, or am I just stupid?

Since it hasn't been determined if I'm an idiot or not yet, I don't feel qualified to give recommendations, however I'd like to give notification of this book:

http://www.meandmark.com/xcodebook.html

If you are looking to lean more about Xcode, this is a good book, becuase you can download it after purchase of the electronic version, instead of having to order it and wait for it to be shipped to you.

Jordan72

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2005
Wow, I didnt know that book existed. I'm going to have to get my local bookstore to order it and flip through it and find out if it's something I would find useful.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Thanks for all the replies and recommendations. Hopefully in the new year I'll find the time to write up a couple of short reviews for the books I end up purchasing. I'll continue to check this thread in case any latecomers want to add their recommendations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.