Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
I use the native Books app to read, well, most of my electronic books. In the latest update to Books, it looks like the “Read Now” section is now cluttered with what I would say is basically advertisement disguised in the form of headings like “Current Bestsellers”, “The $9.99 Collection” etc. I don’t care to see what Apple is recommending to me. I don’t want that at all. How do I turn that off?

As I recall, previous versions of the Books app had a different display for the “Read Now” section. It primarily showed books that I am currently reading and books that I added to my “Want to read” section. These two parts in the latest Books app are now not as prominently featured.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Read Now is part of the Store, by design, and cant be turned off. To see books you’re currently reading, select Library > All in the sidebar.

Sarah_Baker

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2023
Apple doesn't provide a way to completely turn off those recommendation sections like "Current Bestsellers" in the Books app. These sections are part of Apple's design to promote content, and there isn't a direct setting to remove them.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Read Now is part of the Store, by design, and cant be turned off. To see books you’re currently reading, select Library > All in the sidebar.
In the past, I've used the Read Now function to quickly bring to the top the books I'm reading and it displays how much I have read of that book. The "All" in the sidebar doesn't fully cover that function, unfortunately.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Apple doesn't provide a way to completely turn off those recommendation sections like "Current Bestsellers" in the Books app. These sections are part of Apple's design to promote content, and there isn't a direct setting to remove them.
Yeah, that's unfortunate. Marketing just takes over. Capitalism and marketing are such bears...!

Jp731

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2024
One way I found to turn off recommendations on the Books app is to put your phone on airplane mode then open the app. 👍

Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
One way I found to turn off recommendations on the Books app is to put your phone on airplane mode then open the app. 👍
AH! Sounds like a fun workaround :) Didn't think of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.