Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
I've been using it after the release of Hogwarts Legacy. I am happy to be able to play AAA games my current iMac cannot run. That said, they currently have server issues because of a big surge in players because of Hogwarts Legacy. But overall I'm pleased.

keithlm

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2023
I have figured out that the boosteroid app/program won’t enable the Xbox one game controller.

But if I log in using safari it will use it. So that is okay. Boosteroid seems to work just fine both ways.

On a side note I may try shadow cloud pc so I can try 2k Or 4k resolution. It costs 3x as much. But I don’t mind trying it out for a month.

Last edited:

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
I hope to play Diablo 4 as well. Boosteroid does have all the other Blizzard games, so there is hope. And Hogwarts Legacy was available day 1 of launch, so there is hope as well for quick availability (keeping an eye out to see if open beta will be available). Unfortunately Blizzard does have a pretty anti-cloud gaming TOS, so hopefully they wont ban.

Also they seem to have fixed the server issues - everything is pretty solid now. Looking forward for their 4K tier launch.

Reactions: SpitUK

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
That’s good to know, if they get Diablo I will sign up immediately on the top tier. It’s a shame Blizzard are not launching it on the Mac natively like Warcraft is. I have spent hours playing Dragonflight on my Mac and it runs perfectly so they are extremely capable of converting it.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Honestly for the cost of all these cloud gaming solutions, just buy a Steam Deck instead and play your games on that. You can even stream said games from the Steam Deck to your Mac via Steam Link.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I've been using Boosteroid for the last few weeks and am finding it to be an unexpectedly good experience, with a few major caveats:

1) Assuming you're using a Mac, the Mac version is still in beta. It's improved noticeably day to day through regular updates though, but is still a tad rough.

2) You must have good solid download/upload speed on your network, and I do NOT recommend bothering with this service on any kind of wifi. I'm playing with my MacBook Pro connected directly into a Velop mesh node via a Belkin USB-C to ethernet converter and a Cat8 cable, and I get a consistent 60 fps on Elden Ring.

3) Speaking specifically of Elden Ring, it will not give you button glyphs for any controllers other than an Xbox controller, at least not that I've been able to figure out yet. So if you're using a DS5 like I am, you have to just replace the buttons in your brain. I don't have any trouble adjusting, but I'm used to having to flip back and forth between Switch controls and PS controls.

Overall though, I'm super impressed with the service and not sorry I paid for a year. Hopefully by the time my sub is up, there will be a ton more titles available natively and I can just cancel it. The fact that you're really just buying games in other stores for the most part makes it so you're not trapped in Boosteroid forever to play your games if they get ported. It's kind of just like renting a gaming PC when you think about it.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
that's a fake hope :) unfortunately(or not), cloud gaming is the only option for playing AAA games on Mac.
I don't believe that's true, but if it is, I'm ok with it. Boosteroid has already proven to be so reliable even in beta that I'm 60 hours into a From game and having a blast with it. I think of it as renting a gaming PC instead of paying to build one.

As for it only ever being on PC, I just don't believe that's going to hold much longer. It may be a couple more years, but you already have incredibly hyped titles like Baldur's Gate 3 releasing for Mac. That tells me that developers are realizing that more and more people have very powerful Macs in their hands.

nettmanek

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2017
Wolverhampton UK
I’m going to try boosteroid once my GeForce now subscription end :) so far I’m happy with it however it doesn’t have many aaa games which is sad

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I’m going to try boosteroid once my GeForce now subscription end :) so far I’m happy with it however it doesn’t have many aaa games which is sad
My absolute favorite thing about Boosteroid is that it's just using my existing Steam account to play the games. So yes, I bought a game on Steam on my Mac that doesn't play on my Mac, but at least there is a way to make it play on my Mac, and if it ever does become native, great. If not, I have other avenues.

If you pay for a year, it's really not a bad value proposition vs. building a gaming PC and then keeping it running smoothly over time. It does require fast broadband and a direct network connection to work properly, but I already had those things in place and don't count them as an added cost to be able to play PC games. Really the only added cost I've incurred is the yearly fee to rent what looks to be cloud based Windows gaming PC--that's kind of how I think of Boosteroid. My hope is just that it's not needed forever, but that it stays up and running while I do need it. Historically, chances appear slim on both, but we'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.