Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I'm trying to create a Windows install thumbdrive, I have the Win10 International English 64bit iso, and a 32GB thumbdrive. Boot Camp Assistant keeps saying the thumbdrive isn't big enough.

Anyone encountered this before?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
For anyone experiencing this, it seems to be a pretty universal problem. A solution that has worked was to set up a windows 10 VM in Fusion, and then connect the thumbdrive to it, and use the Windows create install media tool to build the bootable install drive.

It's now installing to the physical PC as I type.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
You can also use Etcher (https://etcher.balena.io/) and similar apps that will do this for you without needing to spin up a VM first. Works with Linux ISO's too.
A lot of the tools like this my research was finding were github hosted, and weren't notarised etc. If that is, it'd make things easier in future. Makes me wonder if this forum should have a wiki / sticky post for tools and what they can do - eg all the different virtualising programs, what unique features are offered by each etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.