Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boattalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
I'm going through the process of installing Windows onto my Mac in order to access applications that are not compatible with OS X or Wine (and also for the better Intel drivers), but the problem I'm currently facing is as follows : I have already partitioned my hard drive before so that I could install Crunchbang Linux, and since that was on Snow Leopard it appears that El Capitan no longer recognizes that as a partition and it refuses to install Windows. I went ahead and created a partition in Disk Utility instead (though it isn't NTFS), and I would like to know what options I have now. I've already used Boot camp to create a Windows installation disk, so the installation itself is the only thing left to do.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
Hi mate you need to reformat the boot camp partition you want to install Windows onto during the Windows install.

To do that click the partition that says bootcamp. Click delete and then when that's it's done select the same partition again , you should know roughly the size of your boot camp partition, click new and watch im\t formst. Once it's done it should,be all good to go and click continue.

boattalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Hi mate you need to reformat the boot camp partition you want to install Windows onto during the Windows install.

To do that click the partition that says bootcamp. Click delete and then when that's it's done select the same partition again , you should know roughly the size of your boot camp partition, click new and watch im\t formst. Once it's done it should,be all good to go and click continue.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Fortunately, I've already managed to install Windows without using the Bootcamp installer, and converted it to a Bootcamp partition after the installation was done. The biggest problem I was having was installing Windows onto my GPT disk, but Windows 8 has an EFI boot for the installer, so I ended up fine.

However, I am still having a problem accessing my Linux partition. I just noticed while installing Windows that my computer no longer allows me to access it ever since upgrading to El Capitan. I was using a third party software to select Crunchbang while booting up, and OS X appears to have eliminated that ability. Is there a way to access it again, or is that partition inaccessible now ?

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
Hey mate glas the Windows partition works, not,to sure on the Linux one though. Hopefully someone can help you in that regard , if you do proceed and works let us know how you go.

boattalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Hey mate glas the Windows partition works, not,to sure on the Linux one though. Hopefully someone can help you in that regard , if you do proceed and works let us know how you go.
I'll make sure to do that. It isn't that important since the partition has an outdated OS on it, but I'd like to rescue any data I might have on there that I don't want to lose, and then I'll either integrate it into another partition or upgrade to a newer Linux distribution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.