Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
How do I install the Boot Camp drivers on Windows Vista? I got an error message, and I couldn't install. I have the latest version of Boot Camp, and I have Windows Vista RC 1.

Also, a bit unrelated, but how is Vista so huge? It's almost filled up my 8GB partition!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ghall said:
No luck. This is frustrating!
Where exactly are you running into trouble?

10. Insert your "Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP" CD and click start and in the search box type run and hit enter. You need to add 2 switches to the run dialogue so after you navigate to the "Install Mac Drivers.exe" click open. Then add /A /v the command. It should look something like
"D:\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" /A /v
This will extract the drivers without running the install program which is incompatible with Vista. You should now have a Program Files and System32 folder wherever you extracted the .exe

11. Navigate to the new Program Files\sigmatel directory and run the setup.exe to install the sound card drivers.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ghall said:
It says "Unspecified Error"
LOL. I see they spent their money wisely on writing clear error messages for Vista. :p

Try copying the installer EXE to your HDD somewhere, and run it from CMD.EXE instead of start run. That way, you might see if there are any errors reported.

B

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
How do I know if it worked?
It didn't show an error message this time, I don't know what it did though.

EDIT: Okay, it definitaly didn't work. It just came up like te regular installer.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
I have the same problem running Vista RC1 on my iMac. Running the installer from the CD gave me an "Unspecified Error" dialog. I tried copying the Installer to my desktop, but no matter how many times I try the command-line switches to extract the drivers, the regular installer still appears.

Is there no .zip file of these drivers online somewhere?

EDIT: I see, the regular installer is supposed to appear, which was throwing me off. After the first couple of screens, a "Network Location" dialog appears. Now they extracted correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.