Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yabusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
Hey there, I've got a PC and plan to make it a hackintosh, I just wanted to ask a question about bootcamp before I purchase an SSD.
I've never used bootcamp before, but what I basically want a PC that runs apple on an SSD 250Gb and windows on another HDD 250gb.
Is this possible? Or must both os boot files be on the same hard drive? In which case I get a 500gb and partition it?

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
If you are going to build a Hackintosh you do not need to worry about bootcamp. The boot loader that you install with the Hackintosh build is capable of booting multi operating systems.

I would suggest that you use separate drives, it makes things easier especially when you are dealing with Windows.

Here are the steps I would take:

1. Get your Hackintosh setup and booting.

2. Once you are happy with how that is working, unplug the sata connection to the drive and install Windows on your other drive.

3. When that has finished booting and updating (numerous times) and is stable, plug your “Mac” drive back in.

4. Set the boot order in your bios to boot from the “Mac” drive first. When the system starts it will hit the boot loader on the “Mac” drive and it will display a list of operating systems that it has found.

If you do not touch anything it will boot into your Hackintosh installation, if you interrupt the boot process when the loader appears (hit left or right key) you can select which OS to boot from.

I have a Hackintosh that I first built in 2009 that is still running and it currently boots:

Mac OS Sierra
Windows 7
Windows 10
Linux

Linux is running on an extended partition on the Win 10 drive, Win 7 and Mac have their own drives and the boot loader see’s every installation. There is no need for any menu configuration as you might see using Grub (Linux boot loader), it just finds everything and offers to load it.

In case you are interested the boot loader that is used for Hackintosh installations is, at it’s core, the loader that was provided by Apple to boot the open source Darwin OS.

Yabusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
Thanks a bunch family! Really helps, my mind couldn't picture the final product, cleared it up for me.
much love

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.