Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Trying to Download "Boot Camp" it will start the download status, Then the message comes up: "Download Could not Continue, "Windows Support Softwar in not Available". Where do I go from here ? Do I download Windows XP to the MacBook ?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
What Mac OS X version do you run on what Mac?
Where exactly do you want to download the Boot Camp drivers from?
If you have a 2011 or 2012 Mac, Windows XP is not supported via Boot Camp anymore.

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
IDyourMacOS.png
To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
IDyourMacModel.png
To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
I have an old MacBook A1181 that has been upgraded to OS X10.6.8. So it will not suport XP ? All I want to do is use some software that Mac does no have.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have an old MacBook A1181 that has been upgraded to OS X10.6.8. So it will not suport XP ? All I want to do is use some software that Mac does no have.

The A1181 is not an exact model number, it covers 17 models from 2006 to 2009.
The model identifier, as shown in post #2, is more exact.

Anyway, the old MacBooks do support Windows XP and there are even drivers for it.

Maybe go into more detail what you did exactly (used Boot Camp Assistant or where does this error message appear and where do you want to download from or via, ...), thus we can provide less guessing and more accurate answers.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
A interesting fact, the MacBook has Microsoft Office 2008 on it. I have insured it is working. Therefore, the HD has a Windows partition. It would appear "Boot Camp is not required. I need to investigate why the software I have tried to download will not go, perhaps the version is antiquated & the version of Windows (I have yet to determine the version) will not accept it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
A interesting fact, the MacBook has Microsoft Office 2008 on it. I have insured it is working. Therefore, the HD has a Windows partition. It would appear "Boot Camp is not required. I need to investigate why the software I have tried to download will not go, perhaps the version is antiquated & the version of Windows (I have yet to determine the version) will not accept it.

Microsoft Office 2008 is the Mac version of Office, Microsoft Office 2007 is the Windows version.

If you have Windows installed (and it does not seem that way from your other thread), just press WINDOWS+DEL, if you have an Apple keyboard, then the WINDOWS key is represented by the COMMAND key.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Again, after reinstalling Snow Leopard 10.6.3, using Bootcamp Assistant, I started partitioning the HD. After several seconds a message come up: "The Disk Cannot Be Partitioned Because Some Files Cannot Be Moved"
this is the same problem
I had before reinstalling the OS X

Nov 28, 2010
located
Again, after reinstalling Snow Leopard 10.6.3, using Bootcamp Assistant, I started partitioning the HD. After several seconds a message come up: "The Disk Cannot Be Partitioned Because Some Files Cannot Be Moved"
this is the same problem
I had before reinstalling the OS X

But did you do a clean install and formatted the HDD like shown in this guide* via Disk Utility from the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Install DVD?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You refer to a "Clean Install", what do you mean by that ! Please don't be insulted by this, I'm new to Mac and need all the help I can get.

I am not easily insulted, it is me, who insults others. Anyway:

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Thanks much simsaladimbamba, I followed your Long process, now I'm duel booting, Mac & Windows XP.
Now I'm going to investigate what other things Apple has in store for me. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.