Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I posted this in the OSX forum also, I check a thread with a similar problem which didnt help.

How Can I Format My MBP's HArd Drive?
I'm asking because I think I did something bad when trying to remove Windows Vista. I tried to repartition my drive to make a new version of Vista (in BootCAmp)but it said it could not move some files. Now I'm not sure why. But I need Windows, what can I do? I tried everything nothing really worked.

Just to Emphasize: I want to completely empty the hard drive, re-install osx and my apps (which I backed up on a DVD and my Windows PC) install boot camp again and Windows Vista (with an 11 GB partition)

Thanks

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Steve Jobless said:
I posted this in the OSX forum also, I check a thread with a similar problem which didnt help.

How Can I Format My MBP's HArd Drive?
I'm asking because I think I did something bad when trying to remove Windows Vista. I tried to repartition my drive to make a new version of Vista (in BootCAmp)but it said it could not move some files. Now I'm not sure why. But I need Windows, what can I do? I tried everything nothing really worked.

Just to Emphasize: I want to completely empty the hard drive, re-install osx and my apps (which I backed up on a DVD and my Windows PC) install boot camp again and Windows Vista (with an 11 GB partition)

Thanks
first for vista, you want WAY more than 11GB (double that might be enough if you dont install anything, not all space will be used, but you need free space to run windows (or any OS) smoothly)

to format the HD, boot with your OS X disk, it will look like you are reinstalling the OS, and on the menu bar, find disk utility, and format

but before that, you should try to remove the partition with bootcamp (did u try that already?) and restart and stuff.. if that's tried, well, i dont know what to say... what did you do wrong, do you know?

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
i deleted the partition using the boot camp aid, it took two attempts but it worked. But now trying to reinstall vista or create a partition wont work, some error along the lines of files cant be moved back up and reinstall osx i havent tried that yet. And i didnt restart

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.