Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Here is a quick question, should I install Boot Camp today, or wait for Leopard's release when it comes standard? I know Beta 1.4 expires on Leopard's release, so does that mean it will no longer work after that? Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
No longer working will more then likely mean...

1. No more live partitioning
2. No more driver disc burning

If you try it out now and get Leopard you'd be getting a working version of Boot Camp in this sense.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I think I'll just go ahead and try out boot camp now. I need it to run one stupid program at work. I am wanting to do a full clean install of everything if it put Leopard on here. Thanks.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Instead of BootCamp, just use VMWare Fusion (free beta for now) which works great. Since you said it is just one program...

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Instead of BootCamp, just use VMWare Fusion (free beta for now) which works great. Since you said it is just one program...

Tried that. Then I got this error message (see attached image).

They say it runs in Parallels, but it's really slow. Boot Camp makes this program fly on a Mac vs PC. Weird, eh?

I got the Boot Camp Assistant all the way to the part where you partition the drive, and it fails. Reason; it cannot move some files on the disc. I don't have an external drive yet, so I can't move everything off, reformat, and move it all back like it says to do. Is there a way to work around that?

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 518

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
It is a program called Matrix. Silly name, I know. It's basically a jewelry design plugin for the 3D modeling program called Rhino (a little more known). Rhino worked fine in Fusion, but Matrix would not open. I actually just finished installing everything (Boot Camp, Windows, Rhino, Matrix, etc.) on a 5 GB partition and I have between 1.25-1.5 GB of free space left. That should be plenty to last until I can get an external and possibly a copy of Leopard. This is only to keep me from getting behind in my work. I can do stuff at home to stay caught up.

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
bootcamp 1.4, latest PD, & new mbp

I just got this two weeks ago: bootcamp 1.4, latest PD, & new mbp, and it's working great. when it first arrived it had BC 1.3 and older parallels desktop, and that was a mess, but with the latest goods it's blazing. i'd be happy without leopard if it were not for the fact that 10.4.10's finder rots. :D

Not-a-cliche

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
All Boot Camp does is make a partition on your hard drive. Upgrading to Leopard won't make any difference because the partition is already there and no longer controlled by Boot Camp.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
You will be able to boot into Windows after 1.4 expires. I'd say, just install it now and once Leopard comes around, update the drivers with the Leopard disc.

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
All Boot Camp does is make a partition on your hard drive. Upgrading to Leopard won't make any difference because the partition is already there and no longer controlled by Boot Camp.

Really? what happens to bootcamp favorites and icons on the desktop? thx. what happens to ur parallels desktop install? just when ya get it all working...
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.