Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidThei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
I'm running the latest Beta of High Sierra and I would like to delete my Boot Camp partition to get more space on my HD. The Boot Camp assistant does not work and I get the following error message. Does anybody have an idea? Thanks!

Attachments

• Boot Camp Assistant Error.jpg
    Boot Camp Assistant Error.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 196

DavidThei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
I'll take a look at it, thanks! File system is already converted to APFS.

mszilard

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2012
It happened to me, too, I didn't manage to merge the windows partition with the existing mac os partition on beta 3.
I had to delete my fusion drive partitions from the windows partition manager! and then reinstall macos, restore from time machine.
Macos disk utility didn't even see the windows partition.

Last edited:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I'm running the latest Beta of High Sierra and I would like to delete my Boot Camp partition to get more space on my HD. The Boot Camp assistant does not work and I get the following error message. Does anybody have an idea? Thanks!
Have you tried deleting it using Disk utility?

DavidThei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Thanks for your answers. I fear that I have to reinstall Mac OS to go back to a single drive. I‘ll post if I find out something different.

DavidThei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
What works is to transform the Boot Camp partition to an APFS partition with Disk Utility and use it within Mac OS. Disk Utility just won't merge it to a single partition with the Mac OS partition.

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
What works is to transform the Boot Camp partition to an APFS partition with Disk Utility and use it within Mac OS. Disk Utility just won't merge it to a single partition with the Mac OS partition.
Wait what exactly do you mean by that? because I have a windows partition as well but it thinks thats the main partition.

DavidThei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Wait what exactly do you mean by that? because I have a windows partition as well but it thinks thats the main partition.
My problem was that I wanted to get rid of my Boot Camp partition and merge both partitions into one again without reinstalling macOS. The Boot Camp Assistant didn't let me do anything and gave me the message I posted in the beginning. So I tried the Disk Utility tool and I could reformat my Boot Camp partition to an APFS partition right away or delete it first and format it afterwards. Either way worked on my 2015 13-inch MacBook Pro.3.1 i7. I still cannot merge both partitions but I can use the old Boot Camp partition as a separate HD now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.