Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha-Inc.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Hey Everbody,

I hope you can help me cause I’m running out of ideas at the moment…

But backstory first - I own a 2017 iMac, removed my Fusion Drive and build in a SSD. The SSD from Fusion Drive was not removed so I have two SSDs inside my iMac. All of this has be done by a certified shop. Then I tried to install Boot Camp. It already worked when I had Fusion Drive but with the SSDs I had a problem. I First thought it was a bug of my system and let it be for a few months but now after my Windows PC does not work anymore I tried to get boot camp to work but really non of it works, I tried everything I know…

The Boot Camp Software is not able to create Windows 10 Boot Sticks / create partitions on my stick. When I manually created a boot stick, boot camp does not detect my Support Software. When Boot Camp downloads to software automatically the manager is unable to download it because of Server issues. I tried several USB Sticks with several reinstallation’s of macOS (Mojave and Sierra - all with APFS). Non of this worked.

I also tried to install Windows 10 without Boot Camp by creating a Windows 10 Boot Stick via the Terminal but macOS does not detect my Boot Stick while holding the alt-key. I reset NVRAM (or what it is called) and tried to use rEFInd all with no success in finding the Boot Stick. I also tried other software like Rufus (through a VM), etc. but also without getting Windows 10 to boot.

Don't know if its important but I only tried the newest Windows 10 (October Update).

Does anybody has an idea why or better said if this will ever work ?

I hope you can help me.
Greetings

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Hmmmm... I'm confused about why you are using a USB stick at all. This Apple help page says to use an .iso file to install Windows, which you can legitimately download directly from Microsoft: https://support.apple.com/guide/boo...-on-your-newer-mac-bcmp173b3bf2/6.1/mac/10.13

You know you must use 'Boot Camp Assistant.app', right?

From my memory installing Boot Camp, it never tries to make a bootable USB stick. The process does create a bootable partition on your internal drive. This is a big part of what the 'Boot Camp Assistant.app' does. (BTW it is in your /Applications/Utilities folder.)

In your unique case, I'm not sure if it would try to use the original SSD from the old Fusion drive, the new SSD, or let you choose. Hopefully it will give you the choice, as the former might be too small to be useful.

Alpha-Inc.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Hmmmm... I'm confused about why you are using a USB stick at all. This Apple help page says to use an .iso file to install Windows, which you can legitimately download directly from Microsoft: https://support.apple.com/guide/boo...-on-your-newer-mac-bcmp173b3bf2/6.1/mac/10.13

You know you must use 'Boot Camp Assistant.app', right?

From my memory installing Boot Camp, it never tries to make a bootable USB stick. The process does create a bootable partition on your internal drive. This is a big part of what the 'Boot Camp Assistant.app' does. (BTW it is in your /Applications/Utilities folder.)

In your unique case, I'm not sure if it would try to use the original SSD from the old Fusion drive, the new SSD, or let you choose. Hopefully it will give you the choice, as the former might be too small to be useful.

I know I have to use the Boot Camp Assistant.app. Boot Camp tells me I need an USB drive, it could also be to install the Windows Support Software.

I didn't intend to install Windows on my 28GB SSD from Fusion Drive. The plan was to install on my 500GB SSD.

Alpha-Inc.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
I was having trouble with Bootcamp last year (many Apple tech calls; couldn't solve the problem) and followed these instructions....worked like a charm and have been trouble free since. MBP 2017.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/31/how-windows-10-mac-boot-camp-external-drive-video/

Let me know if the link doesn't work. Instructions are towards the bottom and may take a sec or two to load.

First thank you very much for the link but i think i won't be able to tell you.

I manged to get Windows to work by following the instructions from this site:
https://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp/

For some (if there are any :)) who have the same Problem and follow the instructions of the link or try something else but get an error During Windows Installation - i experienced an error when installing windows october update where the installer.wmi could not be installed. I assume this was due to the large file size of the installer file which fat32 could not handle. I avoided the error by using an older Windows 10 ISO which was small enough to be handled By fat32.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.