Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brolfsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15" and I downloaded the Windows 10 iso from the website. I ran Boot Camp Assistant and after it got almost all the way done it froze so I cancelled the Windows Support Drivers install and went back into OSX and loaded the Boot Camp Assistant again to wipe everything to start over. It popped up with an error saying the partition could not be reformatted for some reason but when I went into About my mac, it was showing that everything was back to OSX with no other partition.

So I started Boot Camp Assistant again and did the process all over again. This time everything worked and Windows 10 was successfully installed.

But now when I hold Option when booting up the Macbook to select which OS to load, I have OSX, Windows, and another Windows option. I am thinking I have a duplicate Windows option from that failed partition. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
That might be the windows recovery partition. Never adjust partitions while in windows. Try checking the sizes in disk utility on Mac.

So if the partition is approximately the same size as windows then it should probably be deleted.

Another possibility is that it's a remenant from the install process and will likely disappear on its own after some time. (That's what happened for me after I had updated my windows 10 and let it do maintenance)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.