Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liquidnonsense

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Rhode Island, USA
I know somebody's going to yell at me for posting this when many people have already asked the same question, but of all the times I have seen this posted I have still not seen an adequate solution to this problem.

When trying to run Boot Camp Assistant on my iMac (Mac OS 10.7 Lion) it tells me the disk could not be partitioned because I need at least 10GB of free space on my startup disk, when in fact I have 31GB of free space.

I have tried everything. I defragmented the hard disk with iDefrag. I ran Disk Utility from the install CD and ran "Repair Disk Permissions" and "Repair Disk." I shrunk the startup disk partition and then expanded it again. iDefrag now shows my hard disk as being completely defragmented, with 31GB of completely contiguous free space. Why is Boot Camp still telling me I can't partition the disk?

------------EDIT--------------

I eventually solved the problem simply by freeing up even more space. By the time I had freed up 40GB, it no longer gave me the error message. This is one error message seems to be a pretty serious screw-up for Apple, judging by the fairly large number of people with this problem, not to mention that I clearly had more than 10GB of contiguous free space on my disk. Also, many Boot Camp users may not even be as tech-friendly as my fairly newbie self, and an error that says "You need more than 10GB of free space" is not going to suffice for a member of the general public with no comprehension of fragmentation and 30+GB "free" on their disks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.