Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bedaso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2022
Chicago
Hello.

I’m unable to boot into the MacOS X 10.4 Tiger install DVD on my PowerMac G4 MDD (2003). I’ve recently installed several distros of Linux until I found out the graphical issues I experienced were from it’s ATI Radeon 9000.

So until I buy a new card, and one that would work with Linux, I tried to reinstall Tiger on it, as that is what it originally came with. But alas, I burnt a retail Tiger .iso to a spare DVD I had and no luck. I hold down Alt to enter the boot menu and it doesn’t show the DVD, only the Linux partition I have. I also tried out a USB flashdrive copy of Tiger and used Open Firmware to enter it, but I kept getting errors related to it being unable to open. I also tried several other Tiger .iso files with the same result.

What do I do? Am I screwed? Do I need to rescue the HDD by plugging it into my main computer by an adapter, using TransMac to format the disk and put the install files onto it?

Bedaso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2022
Chicago
Oh no it’s seem I’ve made a blunder, I’m supposed to burn my Tiger .iso on another Mac and not Windows (even with something like TransMac)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.