Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williewalliewoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Is it possible to use a ~16GB Sd card, permanently inserted, as a boot drive and use the two internals (on the server model) for other tasks? What would the speed be like compared to a 7200 rpm drive?

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
i doubt this would be possible. but even if it were, you're still better off with the performance from a sata II 5400rpm hdd. also sd cards aren't designed for the constant read/write of a modern os. they're not built like ssd's.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
it should be possible, just know sd cards aren't meant to take that kind of abuse. Probably will be a quick death. They aren't fast either. Well, they can just as fast if you spend a bit. Just do some research on "Speed Class Rating"

paepcke

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
SDs are not made to be booted off in everyday life.

:confused:

Are you aware that this slot supports SDXC (SD 3.0), that means 2TB drive size support and 300MB/s (R/W).

How does that make feel your Intel SATA MLC SSD drive now? Yes, feels like a big old dinosaur. :D

There is absolute no reason why we should not expect cheap multi channel & wear-leveling drives SDXC very soon on the market. It´s a real big consumer market cause of all the video and photo cam´s.

I´m sure there is a reason why Apple put this drives in all of it´s new boxes. And the placement of this slot at the back-side of the mac mini tells me that this slot is not planned for every day digital camera card usage.

Greetings,
Michael

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
:confused:

Are you aware that this slot supports SDXC (SD 3.0), that means 2TB drive size support and 300MB/s (R/W).

How does that make feel your Intel SATA MLC SSD drive now? Yes, feels like a big old dinosaur. :D

There is absolute no reason why we should not expect cheap multi channel & wear-leveling drives SDXC very soon on the market. It´s a real big consumer market cause of all the video and photo cam´s.

I´m sure there is a reason why Apple put this drives in all of it´s new boxes. And the placement of this slot at the back-side of the mac mini tells me that this slot is not planned for every day digital camera card usage.

Greetings,
Michael

:rolleyes:

Riiiight, cause 2TB 300MB/s drives are available right now for SO cheap! Oh wait. No, no, they're not. I'll take an Intel SSD over a non-existent drive, thank you very much.

Oh look, Kingston just announced a brand new 64GB SDXC drive, boasting.... 60 MB/s read and 35MB/s writes! WOW! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/hom...leases-64GB-SDXC-UHS-1-Class-10-30131291.html

Let's go to Amazon and see what's available...

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Secur...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276983822&sr=8-1

Wowzers! There's a 64GB available right now with 15MB/s performance!

What's my point? SDXC may very well be useful in the future. For everyone, - EVERYONE - right now, it's not.

paepcke

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
WilliamG,
in general i agree with you. The future for SDXC will be bright. :)

But as you should know, as Intel SSD fan (I´m too!) for an pure OS & Application drive not the max data rates count, but the low random access times. Same for write speed (Intel MLC SSD´s are also not really heros at write speed).

So I think an small 64GB SD Card with 60MB/s and low random access times is worth a try to get rid of the SATA disk from the new mac mini.

Greetings,
Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.