Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaudier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
I have a second generation Apple TV 4K (A2169). I attempted to update to the beta version of TvOS, but afterwards, it would not turn on. The power light starts blinking and the TV screen is just black for a few seconds before disappearing (no HDMI signal). Unfortunately, the Apple TV 4K does not have a USB port, so I am unable to put it into DFU mode or connect it directly to my PC. Is there any way to fix this issue? Unfortunately, my device is not under warranty or covered by Apple, so they recommended purchasing a new one.

I have come across posts mentioning two different cables that can be used to connect the ATV to a PC and put it into DFU mode, but these posts only mention the first generation ATV 4K. I am unsure if the same cables will work for my second generation device.

Do any of you have any suggestions for fixing my ATV 4K? Thank you in advance for your help.

gaudier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
Here are some suggestions. Examples: Powering it on and off repeatedly. Using a USB-C--HDMI-cable. Holding different buttons down. Et cetera. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, I've done every possible combination, so far my only option seems to be golden eye cable with additional dongle, but eve then I'm not sure that it will work cos every post mentions only the first gen ATV with those cables

• Sad
Reactions: AlixSPQR

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
I have a second generation Apple TV 4K (A2169). I attempted to update to the beta version of TvOS, but afterwards, it would not turn on. The power light starts blinking and the TV screen is just black for a few seconds before disappearing (no HDMI signal). Unfortunately, the Apple TV 4K does not have a USB port, so I am unable to put it into DFU mode or connect it directly to my PC. Is there any way to fix this issue? Unfortunately, my device is not under warranty or covered by Apple, so they recommended purchasing a new one.

I have come across posts mentioning two different cables that can be used to connect the ATV to a PC and put it into DFU mode, but these posts only mention the first generation ATV 4K. I am unsure if the same cables will work for my second generation device.

Do any of you have any suggestions for fixing my ATV 4K? Thank you in advance for your help.
Have you tried this?

"I tried home + menu buttons around a thousand times in a thousand different sequences with no success.

Then I tried home + play/pause and it worked.

With Apple TV plunged into MacBook and iTunes open press and hold home + play/pause buttons until the light starts blinking rapidly. Release buttons and it should reboot to recovery mode".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.