Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squidgit84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
My mac freezes on boot and when entering recovery mode, it won’t load disk utility and when I type in to the Terminal diskutil cs list I stares no core volume found… can anyone help me get my Mac working again…?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Which Mac do you have?
Maybe you don't have corestorage in use... Corestorage volumes are set up if you either have a fusion drive, or you have FileVault turned on
Try the simpler version of that diskutil command
Code:
diskutil list

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
that explains it...
what version of OS X do you have now?
It shows a 320GB hard drive, which was last seen in a iMac (20-inch, Mid-2009).
Does that sound about right?
More than 10 years old, original 320GB hard drive.
It's too old for Internet Recovery. That feature did not appear until 2011, although some 2010 got that added with a firmware update. Yours is too old.
The reason I mention Internet Recovery - you likely need a reinstall of your system.
You COULD try that by booting to the recovery system, and try "Reinstall OS X". You will need to have a working internet connection. The system will download the files for your current system, then reinstall. That may take an hour or so to complete.
However, you may get an error, because you said that the Disk Utility won't load properly, and the installer won't show a destination for the system. If it does work, that may fix. But, I suspect it will not let you download the system files -- because your hard drive may be failing, probably from old age...

What OS X system version are you running? Maximum for your 2009 iMac would be El Capitan (OS X 10.11.6)

squidgit84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
Yes it’s a mid 2010 Mac and version 10.11.6.
I get the reinstall option but it states that my recovery HD is locked so I can’t reinstall OS X.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If it's a mid-2010 iMac, it might be able to boot to internet recovery.
Have you tried this?

Command-OPTION-R
at boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.