Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I'm thinking of buying a PC and have one question.

One the best features of Mac OS is being able to have the OS installed on a bootable external SSD, which I use as my main configuration.

Is this possible in Windows 10?

Thanks!

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Anyone here has done this?

I see many people on the forums doing that with Macs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see many people on the forums doing that with Macs.
Its a heck of a lot easier to run macOS on an external drive then windows. MS supported this Windows to Go but that's only available with the enterprise version of windows and updating windows to go is problematic (at least it was for me).

Recently, MS ended development of Windows to Go, either they have something else up their sleeve or official support for windows on external drives is ending - I have no idea what's up.

For me, I found it far easier to install windows on my iMac's internal storage and then boot the iMac off an external SSD when I needed macOS. Maybe its easier now, as I've not researched it but back then getting windows on an external drive was involved at best. The link I pasted above seemed to indicate that it may not be a hassle but I have no idea, as I've not tried it.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks.

Yeah, on MacOS it's super easy. I like it because I can install the OS on an external SSD and everything is faster. Where I live getting a Mac with internal SSD is not easy so I went that route.

If in Windows is not that easy or reliable then it's a negative for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.