Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
First I should point out that this is a very geeky thing and a dvd will boot much slower than a usb. So if you want a faster boot it would be better to make a bootable usb instead for which instructions are here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ler-for-sierra-gm-and-public-release.1992501/

Nevertheless some people want to have a bootable dvd too.

To do this copy and paste these into terminal to make the bootable iso file (assuming you have already downloaded Sierra to your Applications folder via the mac app store):

hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil create -o /tmp/Sierra.cdr -size 7500m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

hdiutil attach /tmp/Sierra.cdr.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

asr restore -source /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_build -noprompt -noverify -erase

rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.chunklist

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/BaseSystem.dmg

hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/

hdiutil convert /tmp/Sierra.cdr.dmg -format UDTO -o /tmp/Sierra.iso

mv /tmp/Sierra.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/Sierra.iso

A bootable iso file called Sierra.iso will then appear on your desktop and you can use this to burn it to a dual layer dvd:

sudo drutil burn /Users/YOURNAME/Desktop/Sierra.iso

where you replace "YOURNAME" with the username for the account you are logged into at the time.

and then boot to startup manager with option key to select the dvd.

SignedAdam

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2016
London
@tywebb13 - Thank you, I can confirm that your Guilde works, I was able to boot the 8gb DVD, and install macOS Sierra (16A323) to a Disk, and then boot from that Disk, in to macOS sierra on a (iMac 27-inch late 2009)

Reactions: 997440

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This might be possible, but creating a bootable USB flash drive installer is less trouble and will probably boot much faster for the install...

jeremy12777

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
This method is for Sierra only. Not High Sierra or any other system.

I already said that in my first post.

What is the terminal command steps to make the app store high sierra that got released to public how to make into a bootable dvd
Everyone i find its only for beta please help as i have no usb drives and want it on a dual layer dvd

ronba

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
Longueuil
What is the terminal command steps to make the app store high sierra that got released to public how to make into a bootable dvd
Everyone i find its only for beta please help as i have no usb drives and want it on a dual layer dvd

Hi,
This is the first line of syntax for High Sierra:
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Hi,
This is the first line of syntax for High Sierra:
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

As I said before this thread is for instructions for a Sierra dvd ONLY. Not for other systems. Others have tried to extend this over to High Sierra without success, e.g.. in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/convert-the-high-sierra-installer-app-to-an-iso-anyone.2070676/

I personally have wasted several DVDs and blurays trying to make a bootable disk for High Sierra with several methods to no avail.

I'm not sure it is possible for High Sierra.

We may have come to the end of the road as far as this sort of thing is concerned.

I'm just glad I was able to make bootable dvds for Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra. It has progressively become more and more difficult to do so though with each release, especially after Mountain Lion.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone can come up with a working solution for High Sierra. If so then it would be more appropriate to post the solution into br0adband's thread, rather than this one because that thread is specifically for a bootable iso for High Sierra.

Several other methods are also suggested on github, but these don't work either yet to make a bootable dvd or bluray for High Sierra (including the one posted there today, which although gives a bootable iso, it doesn’t boot a dvd - for computers formatted as apfs - although it did boot for computers formatted as hfs+).

Last edited:

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I have a third party graphics card in my Mac Pro so I don't have a boot screen. I'm hoping by doing this, I'd be able to hold down "C" and have the computer boot from the DVD drive instead of having to hold option and choose the flash drive. Would this "C" method work if I make this installer DVD?

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
So i burnt a Sierra bootable dvd and it boots up fine on my MacBookPro8,1 but not on my MacBookPro9,2. It just stalls at 95% loading on the Apple logo. Both using the same external dvd drive. What gives !?!?

fabthi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Tried to do it but failed, this is Terminal response
< hdiutil: convert failed - Il file esiste
MBP-di-Fabio:~ fabthi$
MBP-di-Fabio:~ fabthi$ mv /tmp/Sierra.iso.cdr ~/Desktop/Sierra.iso >

fabthi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Is it finished?????
Cause no .iso file has appeared in desktop

Schermata 2021-01-20 alle 12.35.13.png
Schermata 2021-01-20 alle 12.35.13.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.