Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
So I got an interesting response from Sonnet!

I do not know what to make of all this craziness. I very much appreciate the Sonnet folks at lest being aware of some of these issues. But considering we have reports, above, that the 61TB Solidigm drive "seems" to work at full write speeds, I'm even more baffled as to what it all means.

What I don't get about the above statement is that it is clearly not true with regard to capacity as 20+TB spinning drives work just fine in macOS. So not sure why there is a capacity limitation for SSDs?

Would appreciate anyone with any thoughts on any of this. I'm prepping to send the 30tb intel drive back, and was going to look for a 61tb Solidigm, but now wondering if I should bother... but with a hearsay report of the 61TB drive working, perhaps that's all we got to go on? Man, I cannot believe the dearth of information about such a simple thing. So weird.
I wonder if there is an entirely different KEXT involved that works with SSD drives vs. spinning drives. That is the only thing I could think of; but even then, why would you limit the size of SSD drives?

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

reglit

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2024
So I got an interesting response from Sonnet!

I do not know what to make of all this craziness. I very much appreciate the Sonnet folks at lest being aware of some of these issues. But considering we have reports, above, that the 61TB Solidigm drive "seems" to work at full write speeds, I'm even more baffled as to what it all means.

What I don't get about the above statement is that it is clearly not true with regard to capacity as 20+TB spinning drives work just fine in macOS. So not sure why there is a capacity limitation for SSDs?

Would appreciate anyone with any thoughts on any of this. I'm prepping to send the 30tb intel drive back, and was going to look for a 61tb Solidigm, but now wondering if I should bother... but with a hearsay report of the 61TB drive working, perhaps that's all we got to go on? Man, I cannot believe the dearth of information about such a simple thing. So weird.
Actually the issue with your D5-5316 is not the only case. The same problem happens on Intel(now solidigm) p4510 which has capacity smaller than 15.36TB. Hence I doubt the conclusion from Sonnect. There is a more detailed compatibility list of u2 drives but it is in Chinese. From the information I got, some u2 drives are not fully supported for no reason at all due to the awful support from Apple. The only way to know if a u2 drive is fully supported is to find someone that have tried before.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Actually the issue with your D5-5316 is not the only case. The same problem happens on Intel(now solidigm) p4510 which has capacity smaller than 15.36TB. Hence I doubt the conclusion from Sonnect. There is a more detailed compatibility list of u2 drives but it is in Chinese. From the information I got, some u2 drives are not fully supported for no reason at all due to the awful support from Apple. The only way to know if a u2 drive is fully supported is to find someone that have tried before.
Any chance you could link to the Chinese compatibility list? And my guess is the only drive on that list that's known compatible is the Solidigm SBFPF2BV614T001 D5-P5336 Series 61.44TB, 2.5"?

reglit

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2024
For capacity larger than 30.72tb, Solidigm D5-P5336 is the only one known supported. All capacities of P5336 are supported hence you can also try 30.72tb P5336. The capacity is not a factor that affects the compatibility. I'll try to attach the image later

• Love

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
For capacity larger than 30.72tb, Solidigm D5-P5336 is the only one known supported. All capacities of P5336 are supported hence you can also try 30.72tb P5336. The capacity is not a factor that affects the compatibility. I'll try to attach the image later

Much appreciated!

reglit

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2024
IMG_6154.JPG
IMG_6156.JPG

This is the compatibility list including the speed and known issue. It's not all the information they have. If you want to know if a specific U2 drive is fully supported, I can help you ask them.

• Love

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
View attachment 2365041 View attachment 2365042
This is the compatibility list including the speed and known issue. It's not all the information they have. If you want to know if a specific U2 drive is fully supported, I can help you ask them.

That would be amazing. Basically curious of what are the 30TB and larger U.2/U.3/EDSFF drives that are compatible at full speed. Thank you, and them, so much!

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
OK, so I returned the P5316 30TB drive and ordered the P5336 61TB drive. Fingers crossed!

Aye, the prices on these has shot up like crazy and the seller had to back out and refunded me. Arg! Shaking fist at sky. Everything about this is nuts.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Taiwan earthquake damaging TSMC and USMC foundries will make semiconductors prices soar this week.
Thanks, that, sadly, makes sense. For some reason the scene from Airplane springs to mind. I picked a bad week to want an SSD.

Poor folks there. Hope the can recover. It looked pretty crazy rough.

reglit

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2024
Thanks, that, sadly, makes sense. For some reason the scene from Airplane springs to mind. I picked a bad week to want an SSD.

Poor folks there. Hope the can recover. It looked pretty crazy rough.
How much does P5336 61TB cost currently? I'm also interested in buying one.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
How much does P5336 61TB cost currently? I'm also interested in buying one.

Well, a few days ago it was going for about $4800. And, apparently, because of the Taiwan earthquake, they shot up by $2000 in many places! So I'm going to wait for it to come back down.

This place still advertises it for that much, but they have a no return policy, and that's a bit too risky for my tastes:

And apparently they were on sale for $3800 4 months ago at tech-america.com per this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/18jr7bi

Please let me know if you find it for a good price somewhere!

Last edited:

reglit

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2024
Well, a few days ago it was going for about $4800. And, apparently, because of the Taiwan earthquake, they shot up by $2000 in many places! So I'm going to wait for it to come back down.

This place still advertises it for that much, but they have a no return policy, and that's a bit too risky for my tastes:

And apparently they were on sale for $3800 4 months ago at tech-america.com per this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/18jr7bi

Please let me know if you find it for a good price somewhere!
$4800 is still acceptable for a 61tb drive but the extra $2000 is way too much. I haven't seen any place with reasonable price yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.