Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
So I am a bit irritated. I used BootCamp to partition like 80Gb (something like that). Everything was fine until Windows tries to install to a partition, which obviously I didn't know that BootCamp uses Fat32. Win 7 only uses NTFS, but when I go back into disk utility, it doesn't give me the option to do NTFS.

What do I do? Obviously Apples' BootCamp instructions don't address this problem, as they show it does NTFS+ or whatnot in the instructions.

My MBP is the new Quad i7 2.2 and I would think all the software is up to date..

Last edited:

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
Win 7 only uses NTFS, but when I go back into disk utility, it doesn't give me the option to do NTFS.
Why don't you format to NTFS during Windows 7 installation? You can do this right at the beginning.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Why don't you format to NTFS during Windows 7 installation? You can do this right at the beginning.

This is how it is intended. I suppose for historical reason, back when XP was still the system to install, BC defaults FAT32 as format. However, you can reformat the partition to NTFS during the W7 install.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
thanks everyone. I looked back at the apple discussion forums, and I guess in my frustration, I didn't see the "advanced drive options" or whatnot when Win7 was at the partition screen. Don't know why it doesn't do this automatically however..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.