Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lekekoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2019
Bootcamp on my Mojave says that “your sis could not be partitioned, please check disk Utility” . This occurs when I set the partition space to max on the BootCamp Assistant which is 80gb. But if I set the partition space to like 70gb it successfully partitions it and after it says “copying windows file” it asks for my password then it reboots back to Mac OS instead of rebooting to windows installation. I tried restarting and holding option key, it only shows Macintosh HD as the only disk available. But if I go to disk utility, it shows that I have a bootcamp partition. Please how can I get bootcamp to work.

I don’t have time machine on automatic, I don’t have localsnapshots and I don’t have firevaults on

i have a Windows 10 iso file April edition from MS official website

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The Option key will show bootable partitions, but will not show partitions that are not bootable.
Your Windows boot camp partition is there, but there's nothing on it yet. You need to make a bootable Windows installer from that ISO that you downloaded. The Boot Camp Assistant will do that for you. That's one of the choices when you first open your Boot Camp assistant. Go back to that screen where it says "Create a Windows 10 or later install disk". Check that box. Also check the box "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" When you continue, it will ask for the location of your Windows 10 ISO, and you would verify that you have a Fat32 format USB flash drive inserted. It will erase that flash drive, then copy the Windows installer files to that flash drive, along with the boot camp support software. THAT'S what you need to get Windows installed on your Mojave system. After that flash drive is prepared, you will have a way to boot to that windows install, even if your Mac again decides to boot back to macOS. Just restart again, holding the Option key. The Windows install will then appear, and you can choose to boot to that flash drive then.

lekekoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2019
There is now way I can go back to that screen. The screen doesn’t show up anymore to choose those options in BootCamp Assistant . It goes straight to the partition screen. I have a bootable USB and I tried all those and it still doesn’t work. Is it because I use Win 10 April version on Mojave that it doesn’t work because my bootable usb doesn’t show up when I press option key while turning on my MacBook. It only shows Macintosh HD
The Option key will show bootable partitions, but will not show partitions that are not bootable.
Your Windows boot camp partition is there, but there's nothing on it yet. You need to make a bootable Windows installer from that ISO that you downloaded. The Boot Camp Assistant will do that for you. That's one of the choices when you first open your Boot Camp assistant. Go back to that screen where it says "Create a Windows 10 or later install disk". Check that box. Also check the box "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" When you continue, it will ask for the location of your Windows 10 ISO, and you would verify that you have a Fat32 format USB flash drive inserted. It will erase that flash drive, then copy the Windows installer files to that flash drive, along with the boot camp support software. THAT'S what you need to get Windows installed on your Mojave system. After that flash drive is prepared, you will have a way to boot to that windows install, even if your Mac again decides to boot back to macOS. Just restart again, holding the Option key. The Windows install will then appear, and you can choose to boot to that flash drive then.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you use the boot camp assistant to create your bootable windows 10 installer? There are other methods to do that, but if you simply copied the installer files to a USB drive, that isn't likely to work (because it won't be bootable).

If you already used boot camp to make the partition, then you should NOW see only the choice to REMOVE that partition, which is fine... That partition is used for Windows, and you can simply remove it, then re-launch the Boot Camp assistant to make a new partition. It will also show you the choices to make a USB bootable installer (which you should do!), and also to download the support files, which the assistant will copy to your new USB bootable installer.
Again, the USB installer that you made doesn't show up in the Option-boot screen, because it isn't bootable. Follow the process to create that in the Boot Camp assistant, and that should work!

lekekoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2019
Did you use the boot camp assistant to create your bootable windows 10 installer? There are other methods to do that, but if you simply copied the installer files to a USB drive, that isn't likely to work (because it won't be bootable).

If you already used boot camp to make the partition, then you should NOW see only the choice to REMOVE that partition, which is fine... That partition is used for Windows, and you can simply remove it, then re-launch the Boot Camp assistant to make a new partition. It will also show you the choices to make a USB bootable installer (which you should do!), and also to download the support files, which the assistant will copy to your new USB bootable installer.
Again, the USB installer that you made doesn't show up in the Option-boot screen, because it isn't bootable. Follow the process to create that in the Boot Camp assistant, and that should work!
I finally installed windows 10 on Mojave. The April version doesn’t work on Mojave. I had to install the October version and it works perfectly, thank you.

but the problem now is that I have just 45gb free space on my bootcamp meanwhile it was meant to be 65gb that was on the partition. The windows folder takes up all the space. Is there a way I can compress the windows folder on my computer or resize the partition without loosing data because I am trying to get gta v on the Mac which is 60gb. I only need 17gb free space in order to copy it to my computer. On my Macintosh hd I have like 29gb free space

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are you trying to fit a boot camp partition on a 128GB SSD? That's a pretty tight fit.
If you now try to adjust the Windows partition to fit a game, then you will probably find that the macOS side is really close to full, and you will need to a balancing act to keep both partitions smoothly running.

But, if you really want to do this --- Camptune is a good tool for resizing your Boot Camp Windows partition.

lekekoko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2019
Are you trying to fit a boot camp partition on a 128GB SSD? That's a pretty tight fit.
If you now try to adjust the Windows partition to fit a game, then you will probably find that the macOS side is really close to full, and you will need to a balancing act to keep both partitions smoothly running.

But, if you really want to do this --- Camptune is a good tool for resizing your Boot Camp Windows partition.
i mistakenly used minipartition on windows to increase bootcamp partition and it messed up with my Mac. Now when I try to boot into Mac it shows a folder and question mark blinking. And my Macintosh HD is gone as I can’t see it in disk util. If I press command option it doesn’t do anything please help. Disk utility in internet recovery shows Apple SSD as 121.33gb and bootcamp takes all of it which is 75gb. I don’t see Macintosh HD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 224

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What shows in Disk Utility when you click on the "Partition" tab?

Moving ahead, always remember that you have two completely different operating systems sharing your drive.
If you make changes to the partition map on the drive, you always risk affecting the other bootable system. Properly designed software will allow for other bootable partitions, and usually will avoid the problems that you are having now. There IS some decent software that could do what you want, but unfortunately, you used software that probably just ignored your macOS boot partition.
Best method to do this is to use software that is designed to work with both bootable partitions, keeping both bootable when the resizing is complete. Something like CampTune will do that safely.
If the Mac partition is gone, there's not much you can do now. If you did not have any backup of your macOS partition, then it's possible you might be able to retrieve your Mac documents/music/pictures, but if the Mac part of the drive was resized, then included in the NTFS partition with Windows, that could mean that recovering the Mac files may not be worth the effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.