Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nspire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
hey, i'm new to the forums and everything, but i've read the entire post on installing XP on an external hd, even the ngine.de article.

soooo, onto my question.

i'm running a macbook pro, which i've had for maybe a month at the most. it's been running bootcamp flawlessly for about 2 weeks; i've been playing hl2 and all sorts of other fun things on it (CS:S for one). however, the partition has almost ran out of space, and i would like to keep the space on my mac partition for... well, macOS, as i work in it a lot for homework, projects, etc.

HOWEVER, here's the tough part... i want to be able to keep the windows xp boot camp partition because i want to be able to play HL2 and CS:S without my external HD hooked up. BUT i would like to install another XP on my external HD (it's a 320gb western digital with the crazy blue button; reminds me of an xbox360). the reason for this is because i need a windows environment that has at least 100gb (storing music, files, projects, etc.) on the external... which is, by the way, firewire and usb2.0 compatible.

so, tech gurus, any ideas? thanks in advance!

- matthew

nspire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
~35 views and not even a simple yes or no?

i really need help with this, people... please lend me some advice!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
nspire said:
~35 views and not even a simple yes or no?

i really need help with this, people... please lend me some advice!

your question maybe very specific but your thread title is not.

you lured a lot of people into your thread who don't even use boot camp (like me) and who think they can help with a common software problem like in iPhoto or so.

the tech guru's for windows/boot camp usually don't click unspecifit thread titles like yours. it's probably best to change the title.

isthisonetaken

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2006
I don't know if this would work, but couldn't you just set up a partition on your external drive and then have your excess files stored on that partition? I don't know much about boot camp, so I don't know if it would mount drives, but I think it should. Then you don't have to have Windows installed twice. Just my 2 cents.

nspire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
yeah, but it'd be easiest... wait, i take that back... not easiest, but ideal for me to have one windows xp on my internal hd, and one on the external :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.