Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I'm going to get a Mac Pro soon and was thinking of installing an extra HD for windows to play games in bootcamp.
1. Which version of XP is good for this, pro/home? is there a difference?
2. Where is best to buy Xp online, ebay on the marketplace?
3. Is it a good idea to have a HD just for windows booting to stop corrupting my mac side? and which HD would you recommend?​

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
I'm going to get a Mac Pro soon and was thinking of installing an extra HD for windows to play games in bootcamp.
1. Which version of XP is good for this, pro/home? is there a difference?
2. Where is best to buy Xp online, ebay on the marketplace?
3. Is it a good idea to have a HD just for windows booting to stop corrupting my mac side? and which HD would you recommend?​

1) Home or Pro will do for gaming. You only really hit Home's limitations if you're trying to connect to a corporate domain (which Home can't do).

2) Wherever you can get it legally cheapest! Beware: there are different kinds of XP licence (determined by the CD itself and by the product code). Make sure you get a Retail or possibly an OEM licence. Retail's unrestricted (other than activations) and OEM has to be purchased with hardware.

3) Sharing the 1 HD is fine. XP, nor any Windows application can read the OS X partition by default, so Windows viruses won't hurt your OS X install. However, there's nothing to prevent you nuking your OS X install by formatting or repartitioning the HD within Windows. In this case, having a second drive wouldn't help anyway, since you could still reformat the OS X disk anyway. So don't do that :)

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Which version of XP is good for this, pro/home? is there a difference?
Home will only support one physical processor, so If you want to take advantage of both physical processors within your Mac then you will need XP Professional

Sean :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Home will only support one physical processor, so If you want to take advantage of both physical processors within your Mac then you will need XP Professional

Home will support a single socket. It doesn't matter how many cores are on that single socket processor.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Thanks for your reply. I've heard OEMs come with no manual or box, and some companes ship a cheap cable to count as shipping with hardware. But are they ok to use?

I'd like to use a 2nd HD so I can easily wipe and reinstall XP often. So are you saying it's not a good idea or just that I don't have to bother?

Oh, and is SP2 needed for bootcamp?

barryd

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
Home will support a single socket. It doesn't matter how many cores are on that single socket processor.

Great questions btw.

whoa whoa whoa.... I'm gonna have to buy Win Pro just so it "sees" both processors? Ugh.

I'm planning on a new Mac Pro whhen updated with a HD just for WIndows, Pro version apparently.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Great questions btw.

whoa whoa whoa.... I'm gonna have to buy Win Pro just so it "sees" both processors? Ugh.

I'm planning on a new Mac Pro whhen updated with a HD just for WIndows, Pro version apparently.
I heard of several cases where users on this forum have successfully used Windows XP Home on the Mac Pro. I don't remember if it saw both sockets or not.

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Yes, as I stated above to take advantage of all cores (i.e. both physical processors of the Mac Pro) the original poster will need XP Pro

padré

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
pro

hy guys

i'm a mac pro owner anoyeb by windows home only reading 1 core, and i don't feel like putting money in a upgrade to win pro or vista...

is there a way to make windows home read all the cores ?

thx in advance

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Yes, as I stated above to take advantage of all cores (i.e. both physical processors of the Mac Pro) the original poster will need XP Pro

Googling around a bit seems to indicate this is incorrect.

Home will not support two sockets, but it will support dual-core CPUs.

See
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,7832_8366_7595~95364,00.html
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63251

This would also marry with the fact that I've seen dual-core machines from the likes of Dell and Fujitsu-Siemens bundled with XP Home.

(that second link even includes screenshots of Home's task manager showing that both cores are indeed utilised).

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
From what I see, you said the exact same thing as he did, just differently.

barryd

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
So does any version of Vista support multiple sockets or is it just Vista Extreme perhaps?

Also, does it make sense to put Vista 64 on a Mac Pro or will the 32-bit version work just as well?

Thanks!

aly

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2006
Scotland
I notice someone pointed out the fact you need XP with service pack 2. Although this is true it is possible to buy XP without serrvice pack two which can be cheaper and do what is called slipstreaming. This involves downloading service pack 2 which is free, combining it with the data on the XP cd and creating a new CD. It is easy enough to do, and has worked fine for me on a MacBook Pro. Though you will need a windows pc to do the slipstream. Instrtuctions can be found here. These are the ones I used.

Hope this helps, Aly.

Sp3shl K

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
using an old laptop install disc

hey, i was wondering if anyone knew if would be able to install xp sp2 in bootcamp using the install disc from my old compaq laptop?:confused:

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
If you are not using the key on your other computer you should be able to install xp sp2 no problem, but if you are gonna keep it installed on your other computer you might have trouble registering it with microsoft.

When you go through the bootcamp installed you can set whether your windows partition can see your osx partition. So it is safe to install both operating systems on the same hd. As long as you have enough space that you won't regret having smaller partitions. I have a 500Gb hd, and i partition 60Gb to vista. now that i am down to 70Gb on my osx partition I kinda wish I would have got an external drive for windows. but I heard windows has alot of trouble when trying to install it on an external. oh well i guess.

One thing to keep in mine when running on a dual core processor, is that some games don't do well with two cores, so you have to go to your task manager, right-click on the process, and click on set affinity..., then just click one of the cores off. This is the case for UT2004. I am sure there are more games, this is just the only game I had that was having trouble.:apple:

JLN

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
Austin TX
No, the Windows license is tied to the original hardware.

I haven't had any problems using my XP license on various computers (installed only on one computer at a time; had several PCs over the years and now on Boot Camp)

Simply reactivate it by calling the Windows support number and tell them you bought new hardware and installing on one computer only (which you should).
They will supply you with a new key if need be and that's it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I haven't had any problems using my XP license on various computers (installed only on one computer at a time; had several PCs over the years and now on Boot Camp)

Simply reactivate it by calling the Windows support number and tell them you bought new hardware and installing on one computer only (which you should).
They will supply you with a new key if need be and that's it.
I never said you couldn't use it. I just said the license is tied to the hardware for an OEM copy of Windows.

Your mileage may vary.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
If you're gonna BUY xp, you might just wanna buy vista instead. I mean, are you gonna use it for anything other than games? If not, then the OS shouldn't matter that much except for the fact that some games are going to require vista (right now most of them don't, but in the future i'm thinking they will)

Although except for the ******** excuses about halo 2 only being able to run on vista, plenty of other NEWER games run fine in xp.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Good point, I just thought XP would be in use for the next 3-4 years with the slow uptake of Vista.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.