Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josephjgf94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
I have a 2013 27 inch iMac with Siera.

I replaced the hard drive in it recently and need to install windows on the drive via partition.
Overtime I go to the Bootcamp assistant to begin I get the error " the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition."

Ive resorted the computer drive 2x, Ive tried first aid, Ive tried the command line to fix problems on the drive... Im not sure what else to try.

This is a clean hard drive and there are no other partitions or conflicting software on the device.

Please help. I own a business and I need windows and I do not want to use parallels because I almost never use Mac OS.

PLEASE HELP

Disk utility:
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.26.35 AM.png
Error Message
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.26.15 AM.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Please help. I own a business and I need windows and I do not want to use parallels because I almost never use Mac OS."

I've been a Mac user exclusively for 30+ years, but this is one time I would advise:
"If you run a business with your computer, and almost never use the Mac OS -- GET A PC".

Not much else to say, really.

Get a PC to "do the PC's job".
Keep the Mac around if you wish for Mac things.

Final thought:
For folks who get tangled up with BootCamp partitions that won't behave, my advice is:
1. Boot the Mac externally (using a cloned drive or USB flash drive installer)
2. ERASE the internal drive -- NUKE IT BACK TO ZERO.
3. Reinstall the Mac OS (or reclone from backup)
4. Go on from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.