Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HairyMab32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2024
G'day everyone. Long time forum lurker, first time poster. (Go easy on me please.)

Tried researching the forums and google for an answer but I can't quite find an example to match my situation, so here it goes.

After years of putting up with my ****** 2018 i9 MBP constantly black screening, I finally had enough and ordered a replacement.

I have a factory-refurbished fully-specced out 2020 27" iMac coming later this week. (Yes even with the nano-texture display!! Very excited! :D)

This is the first time I've ever been faced with the dilemma of having to migrate Bootcamp. It is primarily used for gaming.

Currently I have a Razer Core X w/ 6800XT driving graphics which means I am using the unofficial "Bootcamp Drivers" by Matt HD. Most of my game files are already running off an external Samsung SSD, however I'm worried there is some stuff I am forgetting about.

I'm not sure it is the smartest idea to do a 1:1 migration with WinClone as I feel like there is a big enough difference in device drivers, and I know T2 Bootcamp partitions can cause issues with migration.

Am i overthinking it and it's as simple as installing a fresh image and restoring using the integrated Windows 10 backup solution baked into the settings app? It would be nice not to have to go through and make all the privacy and app setting tweaks. Thoughts? Other easier solutions?

Would upgrading to Windows 11 beforehand bring any kind of advantage? Genuinely curious what the best solution is.

Jeff__100

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2024
Texas
I have lots of experience on windows. I would suggesting to copy your most sensitive files to a usb stick, or a different offline storage. Then, preform the transfer with the windows 10 bulit-in software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.