Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I apologize for insisting here for an unanswered question in the Sierra section of this forum.
For unknown reasons I presently see in my desktop the Bootcamp icon named BOOTCAMP? with a question mark. :oops:
It was not so a short time ago and I assume that this could be corrected with some appropriate means in the Terminal but I am not any kind of Terminal expert and am afraid to try blindly.
In the Disk Utility as well as booting from an external drive with Yosemite the question mark does not appear. :confused:
Although it might be just a cosmetically nuisance for me, I would be grateful for any suggestion how to get rid of the question mark.
Thank you very much in advance! :)
Ed

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you very much for your kind inquiry.
Presently however my Windows does not work at all.
I believe by now that this malfunction was behind the question mark on the Sierra desktop.
I had a Winclone made clone of Windows quite a long time ago and am trying by now with Winclone from the Sierra side to clone it to the NTFS format Bootcamp partition.
Winclone works only from the OSX partition.
If it works and I recover a working Windows 10, I will see if on the Sierra side the question mark on the Bootcamp icon is gone.
Again thank you very much for your goodwill!:)
I appreciate it very much.
Ed

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hi Ed,

I use Winclone all the time here to keep a backup of my Windows drives. I think you will want to format your Windows drive to FAT with OS X Disk Utility ... and then use Winclone to create the NTFS Windows installation. I don't think it can directly copy to the existing NTFS formatted drive.

Whatever you name your Windows C: drive in Windows will be the name attached to the Windows Icon on your OS X desktop. You can't change it from OS X, you must do it in Windows.

Good luck ....
-howard

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hi Ed,

I use Winclone all the time here to keep a backup of my Windows drives. I think you will want to format your Windows drive to FAT with OS X Disk Utility ... and then use Winclone to create the NTFS Windows installation. I don't think it can directly copy to the existing NTFS formatted drive.

Whatever you name your Windows C: drive in Windows will be the name attached to the Windows Icon on your OS X desktop. You can't change it from OS X, you must do it in Windows.

Good luck ....
-howard
Thank you very much for your very kind suggestions Howard. :)
Actually you can clone with Winclone to a NTFS format partition. It works as well as with a FAT partition.
However my experience with Winclone is a mixed one.:rolleyes:
Often it stops with some kind of error :oops: I have no idea what it means or how to avoid it.
Unfortunately I do not know any other way to back up a Bootcamp Windows.:(

I found out that my Windows 10 was corrupt and that was the reason of the question mark under Sierra.
I "wincloned" back an old Bootcamp Windows 10 I found in an external drive and now the question mark in Sierra is no longer there.
That was the explanation for the question mark in the Bootcamp icon under Sierra (by the way not shown inside Windows OS itself).

What I have not found yet is a way to update my Windows 10 to the "Fall Creators Update", which appeared half a year ago and will very soon be replaced by the Spring Creators version. :(
The small upgrade tool provided by Microsoft has been downloaded countless times but after the long and tedious download of the "newer" Windows, and the equally long procedure with an "installing" indication, the subsequent rebooting does not install anything new and Windows still shows the old version number.:eek:
Did you manage Howard to have the Fall Creators installed and running? :rolleyes:
I failed in my old MacBook Early 2008 and in my somehow less old MP late 2013 so there must be something related to Bootcamp Windows... regardless of the hardware involved (at least concerning my 2 Macs).
In case you actually succeeded to update Windows 10 to the Fall Creator please be so kind to let me know how it worked for you.
Thank you very much in advance Howard!!! ;)
Regards
Ed

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
What I have not found yet is a way to update my Windows 10 to the "Fall Creators Update", which appeared half a year ago and will very soon be replaced by the Spring Creators version. :(
The small upgrade tool provided by Microsoft has been downloaded countless times but after the long and tedious download of the "newer" Windows, and the equally long procedure with an "installing" indication, the subsequent rebooting does not install anything new and Windows still shows the old version number.:eek:
Did you manage Howard to have the Fall Creators installed and running? :rolleyes:
I failed in my old MacBook Early 2008 and in my somehow less old MP late 2013 so there must be something related to Bootcamp Windows... regardless of the hardware involved (at least concerning my 2 Macs).
In case you actually succeeded to update Windows 10 to the Fall Creator please be so kind to let me know how it worked for you.
Thank you very much in advance Howard!!! ;)
Regards
Ed

Hi Ed,
I do have the "Fall Creators Update Version 1709" running on my cMacPro 5.1 and my 2017 iMac (Windows 10 Pro, Version: 1709, OS Build: 16299.371). It has been awhile, but I think I accessed the update from the "Windows Update" page of Settings. I do recall it taking a long ... long ... time to perform the update, but I just left it alone and it finally did complete and activate. It is also installed on a couple of Mac Minis ('11, '12) as well.

I'm sorry you are having problems with Winclone. I have been using it for at least a few years now, and it has always been reliable for me on several computers for moving Windows to SSDs, larger or smaller drives, internal-external, external-internal, etc. Winclone along with DropBox and 1Password are among my favorite must-have utilities.

-howard

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hi Ed,
I do have the "Fall Creators Update Version 1709" running on my cMacPro 5.1 and my 2017 iMac (Windows 10 Pro, Version: 1709, OS Build: 16299.371). It has been awhile, but I think I accessed the update from the "Windows Update" page of Settings. I do recall it taking a long ... long ... time to perform the update, but I just left it alone and it finally did complete and activate. It is also installed on a couple of Mac Minis ('11, '12) as well.

I'm sorry you are having problems with Winclone. I have been using it for at least a few years now, and it has always been reliable for me on several computers for moving Windows to SSDs, larger or smaller drives, internal-external, external-internal, etc. Winclone along with DropBox and 1Password are among my favorite must-have utilities.

-howard

Thank you very much for your info.
I appreciate very much you Goodwill Howard!:)
Thanks!!!
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.