Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gersh66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2016
Hello everyone

I recently acquired a copy of Windows 8.1 and would like to bootcamp my mac. The windows partition would be specifically for gaming. I currently have a 2011 Macbook Pro with the following specs:
  • Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core i5
  • Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • HD: 214.26 GB free of 498.88 GB
I don't really know much about partitioning, so I would like to know how much I need to partition or if it's even worth doing with the specs of my current computer. If I forgot anything important let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I don't really know much about partitioning, so I would like to know how much I need to partition or if it's even worth doing with the specs of my current computer. If I forgot anything important let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder in OS X will guide you through it. I would give 120 GB to Windows if you are going to be gaming.

Gersh66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2016
Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder in OS X will guide you through it. I would give 120 GB to Windows if you are going to be gaming.

Ok. I know I should run a time capsule to my external hd before, but is there anything else I should do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.