Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forest_Penguin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2019
I'm trying to get windows 10 running under bootcamp on a late 2015 imac 5K.

I've run the bootcamp utility and it made a 250GB partition named BOOTCAMP. After this the setup program closed and osx kept running. I've read that the mac is meant to restart and boot into the windows setup but it hasn't done so and when I start up while holding down option it only allows me to boot from Macintosh HD.

Can I safely boot from a flash drive with windows 10 on it and select the BOOTCAMP partition?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I assume you have a Windows .iso image somewhere like on your desktop and that you allowed BootCamp do download the driver package? If you have those files available, your system should reboot and start the Windows installation with no user interaction.

You might try a PRAM reset and fresh boot and try again. You can use BootCamp to remove the initial partition you created to start from fresh.

I would be very careful using any other Window loading technique to avoid messing up your OS X configuration which shouldn't happen using BootCamp.

Good luck ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.