Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sickly Grin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
So, I have an upcoming exam in two months which requires me to use Excel Windows version, not the OS X one which I already have.

I was pondering whether it would be worth it to use BootCamp or Parallels in order to deal with it. I know very little about these two solutions, so I was wondering if you could help me make a choice.

Question 1: If I use BootCamp, how much space will it take from my drive? I have a 250 SSD, and currently there's 145 GB free. And secondly, will this partition my drive? Can I remove Windows when I won't need it anymore and not lose any data?

Question 2: Is Parallels perhaps a more practical solution? Can I run it smoothly with my computer specs? (see signature).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Fusion 7 works smoothly with a Windows VM- and Excel doesn't need Parallel's greater graphics capability, and Bootcamp is overblown for your use case.

Sickly Grin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
I only need it for Excel, nothing else. And only for a couple of months. Is Fusion 7 free?

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
you still need a copy of Windows, so if you don't own Windows, you'll have to buy a license.
He also needs to buy an Office license for Windows unless he can get it for free as a student.
It is a costly solution if he has to pay for a Windows license and an Office license just to run Excel for two months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.