Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
From what I gather is: when using "Bootcamp" I have to install a "Full" copy of Windows OS (Windows 7) + reinstalling Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8. This becomes very expensive with Windows 7 costing $90.00. Is there another way, all I want is some of the software i have i.e., "Sonic MyDVD Studio", "Photosuite", "Photo Explosion" as an example. This software will not download onto my MacBook. Are most software programs designed for Windows only ?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
From what I gather is: when using "Bootcamp" I have to install a "Full" copy of Windows OS (Windows 7) + reinstalling Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8.
No, if you have a Mac, it already comes with Mac OS X installed, unless you get a used one and the seller did remove the OS and did not provide any restore media.
But if a used Mac comes with Mac OS X preinstalled (in most cases it does), then there is no need to reinstall Mac OS X if you use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows on a new partition, unless the installation gets botched up, which can be circumvented (the reinstallation) by using a bootable backup created via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! and an external HDD*.

This becomes very expensive with Windows 7 costing $90.00.
That is how it works, unless you are a student or academic employee and can get your hands on a cheaper or free copy via your university/college.
Or you torrent it.

Is there another way, all I want is some of the software i have i.e., "Sonic MyDVD Studio", "Photosuite", "Photo Explosion" as an example.
If that software is Windows only, you need Windows (either via Boot Camp or as virtual machine (VM).
Booting Windows on the Mac

You could also take a look at WineBottler, which makes it possible to run some Windows applications within Mac OS X without the need for Windows, but it is not approved for every Windows application and can prove quite cumbersome and problematic.

This software will not download onto my MacBook.
There is a difference between download and install. A download is to connect your Mac to a website on the internet (or server) and select a file, which then gets copied to your Mac's internal or external storage device.
An install is the process of using that copied / downloaded file to copy all the relevant files into the appropriate folders / directories either automatically or manually. With many Mac OS X applications it does suffice to just copy the application into the Applications folder, but some applications do need an installer.

Are most software programs designed for Windows only ?
That I do not know, but it is safe to assume, that more applications are available for Windows than there are for Mac OS X. But in my experience is, that most Mac OS X applications are better designed and written than Windows applications anyway.
For all my digital content creation needs I can live with Mac OS X applications, maybe look for Mac OS X alternatives to the Windows only applications.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
I note some of the software I mentioned shows "Free" downloads for Mac. Anytime I see: "Free" I get suspicious. Question: can there be any problems with such a download ? My recently purchased "Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is scheduled to arrive the 16th, I may try these downloads on the current OS which is the same version. I am reinstalling the OS due to unexplained problems with the current OS.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I note some of the software I mentioned shows "Free" downloads for Mac. Anytime I see: "Free" I get suspicious. Question: can there be any problems with such a download ? My recently purchased "Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is scheduled to arrive the 16th, I may try these downloads on the current OS which is the same version. I am reinstalling the OS due to unexplained problems with the current OS.

Depends on where you download from and what exact applications you mean. Many Mac OS X applications are free or donationware, many are also not free.

Maybe link to the applications and we can see, if it is just a scam or the real deal.
If you download from MacUpdate or CNET or the actual developer's homepage, then you do not need to be suspicious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.